996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another oil question, this time 10W-50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Another oil question, this time 10W-50?

I'm doing an oil change before a Nurburgring event in 2 weeks. I do a change roughly every 4-5k miles or between 'events', which ever is sooner. Currently I use Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 but thinking of changing to PRO S 10W-50.

At idle my oil gauge is reading just over 1bar when fully hot. I've seen it drop just below 1bar after a couple of hot laps of The Ring.

Worth making a move to 10W-50?

Thanks...
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
I'm doing an oil change before a Nurburgring event in 2 weeks. I do a change roughly every 4-5k miles or between 'events', which ever is sooner. Currently I use Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 but thinking of changing to PRO S 10W-50.

At idle my oil gauge is reading just over 1bar when fully hot. I've seen it drop just below 1bar after a couple of hot laps of The Ring.

Worth making a move to 10W-50?

Thanks...
Is 10w-50 approved in your region? What about 5w-50?

The oil pressure reading supplied by the gage may not be accurate. Before you move to a different oil perhaps you ought to have the hot oil pressure tested at idle and at various other engine speeds just to make sure the oil pressure is good and end up with a calibrated oil pressure gage.

Also, that the oil pressure reads 1 bar at idle after coming in off the 'ring suggests you might want to take a cool down loap (13 miles?) or when you pull in off the track not only leave the engine running but perhaps turn on the A/C ( which turns on the radiator fans ) let the engine idle and observe what the oil pressure does. Would be nice too if you could monitor the coolant temperature. You can if you get an OBD II code reader/data viewer. What you're looking for is the coolant temp is elevated when you pull off the track -- maybe enough the fans are on (they come on 212F and turn off at 205F (at least for some water-cooled modern Porshes) -- then maybe even goes up a bit as the heat load the engine has built up is shed through the coolant. (The coolant also cools the oil.) Then after a minute or two the coolant temp ought to drop and if you have the A/C on it may drop even below 205F cause of course the fans are still running. You also observe the oil pressure to see if it follows the coolant temperature any.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Another oil question, this time 10W-50?