Sponsored by:

Would you buy a TIP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
nyC4S
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
I would never buy a tip Porsche in my life.
+1. And for yet another good reason: doesn't sound as good as manuals.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
In fact the 99-01 tip weighs LESS (minor amount granted) then a 6sp complete with clutch assy. Just saying.
Not true, check the published weights from Porsche and remember that tips also carry an additional center radiator to cool the transmission. Bottom line tip cars are heavier than similarly spec'd manual cars.

Originally Posted by dailydriverC4s
he TIP is a few tenths of a second faster 0-60
Not true. The tip is a few tenths slower 0-60 than the manual. You are thinking of the new PDK which is indeed quicker. The tips in the 996 are a standard automatic transmission (torque converter and all). As such they carry a greater parasitic loss penalty. Finally the tiptronic first gear is taller than first gear in a manual car (3.66:1 vs 3.818:1).

The added weight of the tip cars, plus the extra parasitic losses from the torque converter, plus the taller first gear all cause the tips to be a few tenths slower to sixty and a few MPH slower in top speed.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
If YOU want a Tip, get it. However, DON'T get a Tip just for the GF.

There are a few guys here that bought a Tip so their wives could drive the car. Almost all of them reported withing a month of purchasing the car that their wife said.... I don't like driving the car because.... the car is too low..... the car rides too rough.... the car is too loud. So these guys were stuck with a Tip they didn't want. You have been warned.
+1 It's your car, get what works for you!

Good luck in the search... either way
Old 08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
bigrob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a tip in my '04. The best way I can describe it is "Lathargic". Unless you put your foot in it all the time, or shift it in manual mode with the steering wheel buttons, the shifts are rather slow and kinda kwerky!........but I don't mind it
Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 510 Posts

Good one!

That ^ is true, however it is by "nesessity"..... not by "choice!"
I know, I know.when are you getting back in a p-car?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
I know, I know.when are you getting back in a p-car?
Not sure yet. There are a few things up in the air that need to be settled before I can do anything about a P-car.

1) My wife is still in Dallas because she can't find a teaching job in Greenville, SC where I am working. They cut 85 teaching positions from last school year versus the coming school year, so there are not any openings. I am still traveling back and forth from Greenville to Dallas every other weekend. I have been doing that for about 15 months now.

2) We still have to sell the house in Dallas.

Once those two things get resolved, then maybe..........
Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure yet. There are a few things up in the air that need to be settled before I can do anything about a P-car.

1) My wife is still in Dallas because she can't find a teaching job in Greenville, SC where I am working. They cut 85 teaching positions from last school year versus the coming school year, so there are not any openings. I am still traveling back and forth from Greenville to Dallas every other weekend. I have been doing that for about 15 months now.

2) We still have to sell the house in Dallas.

Once those two things get resolved, then maybe..........
Tim, life has certainly thrown you more than your fair share of curve ***** over the past few years. I admire your positive attitude throughout.

God bless you, my friend.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ray S
Tim, life has certainly thrown you more than your fair share of curve ***** over the past few years. I admire your positive attitude throughout.

Thanks Ray, I appreciate the kind words and well-wishes.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S

+1.life ussually doesnt seem to get simpler as time progresses....the law of entropy at work.

With twins on the way...feelings of Serpico where I work..the development of my first ulcer, tight budget ahead...sole breadwinner now, quitting smoking ala CHANTIX, I understand the position your in..stress leads to more stress. But I have a happy home and work is stable so I cant complain many have it worse than me.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, the past few years have been trying.

Congrats on the twins! My wife and I had twins.

How is the quitting smoking going? Is CHANTIX helping? I need to quit smoking, too.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to hear you guys are quitting. Just quit. I like to say I quit cold turkey but it was more like I replaced one bad habit with several good ones. Do 20 pushups every time you need a cigarette. Run around the block. Join a new gym. Keep track of your physical performance. Taking seconds off my 400 or mile times, increasing the number of pullups and pushups, basically reintroducing physically challenging activity and keeping score etc, really forced me to reassess the need to smoke, since all it did was slow me down, make me weaker. Two years later and I'm still off cigs, and the girls do like the abdominal side effects!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Yes, the past few years have been trying.

Congrats on the twins! My wife and I had twins.

How is the quitting smoking going? Is CHANTIX helping? I need to quit smoking, too.
Thanks...I cant wait.

Chantix is really good stuff. Basically fills the nicotine receptors and gives you a bit of a smokers high all day...and makes the taste of cigarettes terribel. It works and I was smoke free before for 9 months...Im quitting again for good now as kids are on the way. First week of it you continue to smoke and the second week is an increase of chantix dose and cigerrettes are useless and give you know smoking effects. Irritability is one side effect i had and super cool vivid dreams!!! I looked forward to going to sleep.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a trip and enjoy it immensely. Of course, I drive it in Atlanta all the time and last time I had a manual my left leg was sore by the time I got home.

I think it comes down to where you are driving. Metro area you will be happier with Automatic...the tip works well once you get used to it...or (even while in AUTO mode) you can still shift manually (good for passing without the need for flooring and waiting).

If weekend car, track car or you feel the need to be 0.2s faster in 1/4 mile, then go with the manual.

I'd love to have a manual...but practicality and the reality that I'm not going to drag race it weighed heavily in my decision.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TIP No Way! PDK Way.

MY 09 C2S is a stick and I like it that way. But I rode in a 2011 Carrera Turbo S PDK with Launch Control last week. All I can say is Holy Cow Batman. Under 3 seconds and I got dizzy in the passenger seat. PDK is something totally different of course but well worth considering I think.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would consider a TIP if I had a daily commute in stop and go traffic. I would also buy a TIP if I only had 1 leg. I would not buy a TIP simply so my "other" can drive the car. Luckily my wife knew how to drive a manual before I met her.

That said, I have autocrossed a very well set up Boxster S, that had a TIP, and found it very easy to drive quickly (left foot braking, no needing 3 feet at once (ie heal-toe downshift) etc and the car seemed very smooth.)

Quick Reply: Would you buy a TIP?