Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PLEASE READ before changing out headlight switch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010 | 04:50 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Default PLEASE READ before changing out headlight switch!!!

Having known then what I know now, its a pretty simple project. HID's were not coming on. Had to turn on and off several times before they ignited, blah blah blah. No pics, camera was dead and I was so aggravated I didn't think about cell pics. Will try and take pics later if I have time, instructions below should suffice and I really don't want to dismantle again.

1) remove obvious two torx screws from side panel near door jam.
2) pull out **** like you'd be turning on your fog lights. There is a tiny retaining clip that must be pressed in order to remove ****. Use a precision screw driver or equivalent to depress clip located on the bottom of the **** at the 6 o'clock position.
3)pull **** off to reveal a THIRD SCREW at an angle on the right side(about the 5 o'clock position). I thought this was just another tension clip and ripped the thing out. It went back in replacing everything, thank God.
4)remove set bolt behind **** with pliers.
5)pull off panel so the tension clips release and panel just comes right off. I removed the oval dummy switch cover that would hold a switch if it were a European edition Porsche in order to get a better grip for pulling main panel off.
6)unplug wiring harness plug-thingy, I used a small screw driver to gently pry it loose. It goes back on only one way, pretty obvious. Turn switch housing about 1/8th of a turn counter clockwise to release from panel. It's wedged onto housing by two "set-teeth" that go in two key hole type slots.
7)repeat in reverse order.
8)should take around 30 minutes to complete first time. Like with everything else with these cars, after completing any project; the following times will take you half as long.

Last edited by jugger911; 08-05-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: add info.
The following 2 users liked this post by jugger911:
Luftundwasser (08-10-2023), vwillo1 (05-21-2024)
Old 08-05-2010 | 09:07 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Did you not see my pdf I posted form when I did it that shows all the screws, etc?

You know the rule.....come here FIRST to ask for help as somebody has done it and can save you the heartache

I'll post the illustration here so if somebody comes to your thread, between your steps and my pic they should be set!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Luftundwasser (08-10-2023)
Old 08-05-2010 | 02:10 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Didin't see your thread Dell. Did the research last week and ordered through Suncoast. The ones I did read made it sound a little too simple for the real project. These cars typically have a few hidden secrets in store for for ya. It was 3am when I changed it. All you "normal people" were fast asleep. Thanks for diagram, maybe save the next guy.
Old 08-05-2010 | 02:34 PM
orientblue3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you not see my pdf I posted form when I did it that shows all the screws, etc?

You know the rule.....come here FIRST to ask for help as somebody has done it and can save you the heartache

I'll post the illustration here so if somebody comes to your thread, between your steps and my pic they should be set!
LVDell: I'm looking for part number 29 in that photo, the plastic surround including the vent. I scratched mine the first time the salesman put the key in the car to show me how everything worked. But whatever. I just want to replace it because I'm **** like that. lol.

If I may ask where is that photo from? I'm trying to find the P/N for that piece in grey.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010 | 03:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You have to buy the entire piece. Here's another blowout from the PET with p/n's
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ before changing out headlight switch!!!