Sponsored by:

DIY Painted Console

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Cory, point me to somebody that does the same quality work that Eric's company does for less than $400 on a center console. I'm the first to shop around and find the best deal but having worked with Eric several times I am impressed not only with his product, but his SERVICE. Have you actually done work with him? Just curious what you are comparing his work to.
A reputable, restoration shop.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Which one?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Eric and Darin have put plenty of "trials" into doing their specialty for the Pcar and know alot of the small details which make their work stand out; not to mention their customer service for members here or anyone we refer to them would be first rate. If their work were to suffer; i.e. welds not holding up or poor paint quality, believe me, there would be ALOT less customers going to them.

For example, my indi referred me to a very good interior parts painter here in South Florida if I was interested in getting parts done similar to Eric's; except the painter is either too busy with customers that he wasn't returning calls or he was out of business. long story short..unreliable...

Now, I'm sure there are quality restoration shops around the US and Europe that are just as good, but why aren't they Supporting Vendors (SV's) here? If they can do the quality work for less, by all means, bring them to RL to show their wares....
Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Although a weak solvent, Acetone will generally eat up plastic. Use with lots of caution on plastics until you know it is safe!

Not knocking his work at all but there are plenty of people who do this same work at a very high, quality level. I'm just jealous Eric and Fister come out like heroes here on this board. Don't listen to me though, I'm just ranting when I hear these statements. These are some, in general, easy task to do but you'd think these guys are God because they were first out of the shoot to approach the board.
I don't think the fact that they were here first makes any difference. It's their service and products that make them a cut above. And if there is someone of equal value, super! But it doesn't change the fact that the two vendors in question are dependable and well liked. I've bought from Eric and got a better deal than anywhere else. I'd buy again if I needed to.

Seems more like sour apples here than anything else.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Not trying to start a war, so I'm bowing out. I knew I couldn't word this without pissing off some peeps.

I did my own MK-I hack which I assure you was perfect looking and painted my 996 interior parts without the best equipment and environment making a decent, quality job. Having a great spray gun and dust free paint booth with heat would have yielded perfection but I did not do it at my dads restoration shop --hint, hint--.

This is the reason my friend who I bought my car from bowed out of Rennlist forever; a reputable turbo rebuilder could not come to grips that there are better turbos (higher hp generating) on the market besides the factory workhorse KKK turbos.

Sorry, been in the car world all my life and see this time and time again. People get locked into a certain company, brand, or person not realizing there are many out there doing the same exact job but for other makes and models of vehicles - or even non-auto related things.

There is a world outside of Porsche.

No offense to Fister and Eric, they produce great products and I wish them the best of luck in their future businesses. These guys bring tremendous value to their customers as I have read.

Sorry to hijack Tom, you did a great job on the console (!) and gave meaning to the point of my original post.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Cory, that's lame. Come on, you didn't **** anybody off.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Back on point as far as pricing goes...

For what I did (bumperettes and center console) the paint cost about $60 and provided enough paint and clear coat to allow for at least one do over This is why you pay somebody to do it for you as they have the experience to get it right the first time. But then they really should get it right if they are doing it for a living.

So my paint cost about $60 and to have it done professionally would have cost me over $600 by Bumperplugs and over $450 by a highly regarded local shop. Is the hassle of a DIY worth it? If you ask me, maybe. If you ask my wife, definitely not.

Let's face it, painting is not rocket science. It is definitely an art however and like many things out there what you are paying for when going retail is the experience and the skill of the shop doing the work.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Tom, where did you get over $600? Eric charges $429 for the rear center console. Sounds like a great price for somebody who gets it right the first and the work is flawless. I can't imagine the home DIY guy is on the same level.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Seems more like sour apples here than anything else.
No, just feel I have a decently broad knowledge of what's available in the car world....

Come on, you didn't **** anybody off.
Dangit Dell, I tried to not get sucked into this. Read the post above.

Anyways, I started it and have to back up what I say, right?

I won't though, I made my point. Eric and Fister provide exceptional value and that is all that matters to a customer.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You should know better than that! There is no way to NOT get sucked in here in the 996 fourm. The dark side is powerful
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M
Let's face it, painting is not rocket science.
I had written this same phrase but erased figuring I would perpetuate a longer war. Bye guys and great job again.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom, where did you get over $600? Eric charges $429 for the rear center console. Sounds like a great price for somebody who gets it right the first and the work is flawless. I can't imagine the home DIY guy is on the same level.
You must have missed that I did both the console and my bumperettes.

I have no problem with Eric or his work as he's been a past sponsor and strong supporter of the Boxster specific forum I run. Being on the frugal side I simply didn't want to drop that kind of money of a task I was pretty sure I could pull off to an acceptable level.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Tippy
Race Car

You should know better than that! There is no way to NOT get sucked in here in the 996 fourm. The dark side is powerful
Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
No, just feel I have a decently broad knowledge of what's available in the car world....

Dangit Dell, I tried to not get sucked into this. Read the post above.

Anyways, I started it and have to back up what I say, right?

I won't though, I made my point. Eric and Fister provide exceptional value and that is all that matters to a customer.
Well I was really jonesing on using the term "sour apples" somewhere today and it was better here then work...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom M
You must have missed that I did both the console and my bumperettes.

I have no problem with Eric or his work as he's been a past sponsor and strong supporter of the Boxster specific forum I run. Being on the frugal side I simply didn't want to drop that kind of money of a task I was pretty sure I could pull off to an acceptable level.
D-oh! My bad.

And yes, I agree, if frugality rules and you really can do a job that most wouldn't know was not done by a pro, then do it. I just cringe when I hear people DIY something that is better left to a pro or at least somebody with the experience so it's doesn't take away from an otherwise sweet ride.

Quick Reply: DIY Painted Console