996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leaking - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 09:12 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh, but paying almost double the price for parts in Canada, labour about 4hrs including coolant and flushing out the bubbles in the cooling system.
Old 07-28-2010 | 11:57 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Yeh, but paying almost double the price for parts in Canada, labour about 4hrs including coolant and flushing out the bubbles in the cooling system.
jake, i was a lil bit low on anti-freeze & i put about half of prestone in, it said it was compatible with all makes & models, that was 2 days, today i was driving & my car lite comes on check engine & its starts missing real bad, but no oil leak under car, still has good oil pressure, i've heard of sometimes when you mix porsche coolant with another kind it can gel up, do you think that could be it or something else, i'm scared to try & start it back up, suppose to go in shop monday, do you know of anything i could check that mite help?
Old 07-29-2010 | 12:12 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default help

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
jake, i was a lil bit low on anti-freeze & i put about half of prestone in, it said it was compatible with all makes & models, that was 2 days, today i was driving & my car lite comes on check engine & its starts missing real bad, but no oil leak under car, still has good oil pressure, i've heard of sometimes when you mix porsche coolant with another kind it can gel up, do you think that could be it or something else, i'm scared to try & start it back up, suppose to go in shop monday, do you know of anything i could check that mite help?
by the way its a 2002 996 with 60,000 miles
Old 07-29-2010 | 01:15 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told that the Porsche cars uses only Porsche certified coolant or distilled water. Other than that, I can't comment on the issues you have. Sorry.
Old 07-29-2010 | 01:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010
Hard to say what's going on without knowing the error code(s) logged.

If you're going to attempt to diagnose this yourself you need a good OBDII code reader/data viewer.

If you're not going to fix this yourself you are duplicating some of the diagnostics effort a professional will make. Since the engine is running a bit rough there's a concern on my part that running the engine any in an attempt to diagnose the cause of the symptoms puts the engine at risk of serious damage. For instance if the problem is a Variocam actuator that is going bad further running of the engine might have the engine suffer from a broken chain guide, a cam chain that skips or slips a tooth or even breaks. Any one of these several events almost certainly means the engine is perhaps beyond repair.

If check engine light flashing chances are the problem is a (severe) misfire. The engine's behavior also suggests a misfire one bad enough to affect the engine's running. If it is a misfire problem, it could be due to any number of things, from bad plugs, coils, insufficent fuel supply due to a low fuel level, a failing fuel pump or a blocked filter, bad VarioCam actuator or something else mechanical.

Without knowing the history of the car impossible to say and even if one did know the car's history still hard to say. Even though I was quite familiar with my 02 Boxster's history -- owning it since it was new -- when the fuel pump failed I was not 100% sure it was the pump. I did a check of the pump with a fuel pump relay jumper block -- Porsche tech loaned me his -- and fuel pump didn't run so I was more sure it was the fuel pump after this. But I still had to have the car towed to the local dealer and I still had the tech verify the fuel pump was bad before he replaced it. Didn't take but a few minutes but he did confirm the pump had battery voltage and when switched on via the relay jumper it did not run. He then removed the old pump, installed a new one, and tested the new one and it ran and once the car back together the engine fired right up and all was well again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-29-2010 | 03:57 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
Hard to say what's going on without knowing the error code(s) logged.

If you're going to attempt to diagnose this yourself you need a good OBDII code reader/data viewer.

If you're not going to fix this yourself you are duplicating some of the diagnostics effort a professional will make. Since the engine is running a bit rough there's a concern on my part that running the engine any in an attempt to diagnose the cause of the symptoms puts the engine at risk of serious damage. For instance if the problem is a Variocam actuator that is going bad further running of the engine might have the engine suffer from a broken chain guide, a cam chain that skips or slips a tooth or even breaks. Any one of these several events almost certainly means the engine is perhaps beyond repair.

If check engine light flashing chances are the problem is a (severe) misfire. The engine's behavior also suggests a misfire one bad enough to affect the engine's running. If it is a misfire problem, it could be due to any number of things, from bad plugs, coils, insufficent fuel supply due to a low fuel level, a failing fuel pump or a blocked filter, bad VarioCam actuator or something else mechanical.

Without knowing the history of the car impossible to say and even if one did know the car's history still hard to say. Even though I was quite familiar with my 02 Boxster's history -- owning it since it was new -- when the fuel pump failed I was not 100% sure it was the pump. I did a check of the pump with a fuel pump relay jumper block -- Porsche tech loaned me his -- and fuel pump didn't run so I was more sure it was the fuel pump after this. But I still had to have the car towed to the local dealer and I still had the tech verify the fuel pump was bad before he replaced it. Didn't take but a few minutes but he did confirm the pump had battery voltage and when switched on via the relay jumper it did not run. He then removed the old pump, installed a new one, and tested the new one and it ran and once the car back together the engine fired right up and all was well again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
thanks macster, not exactly what i wanted to hear, but good to know, by the way i was going next week to get the 60,000 check-up, what luck, what would you recommend if motor is shot, ebay has a scan gauge II 3 in 1 compact multifunction vehicle computer with custom display version 3:17, newest one available , wx gauge on sale for $135, do you know if this is a good one or not, do you think mixing coolants together could have caused this problem, i'd heard sometimes mixing porsche coolant with another can cause it to gel, do you know if thats true, about how much would another 3.6 cost, or should i go with something else, thx for your help, car will be picked up monday, i'll let you know whats going on with it.
Old 07-29-2010 | 11:14 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

How long was the mixed coolant in the engine?.... the cel light, is it steady or flashing?
Old 07-29-2010 | 11:46 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 526 Posts

I doubt the coolant is the issue, but flush it (ASAP)and replace with either porsche coolant or vw/audi G12 coolant. You prolly have a coilpack going out.
Old 07-30-2010 | 04:01 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default little relief

Originally Posted by redridge
How long was the mixed coolant in the engine?.... the cel light, is it steady or flashing?
redridge, about 2 days, drove maybe 20 miles, but today i talked to one of the indys & he asked me if i had tried to start it since i got it back home, i told him no, scared it might make it worse, well he told me to try & start it, well needless to say i was scared to, but i did & everything was alright, he said what he thought it was, that i had gotten condensation on my plugs or coil, i couldn't remember, cause at that time i was so excited that it wasn't a blown motor, i do take it for the 60,000 tune-up next week, guess i'll see if i have any more issues with it, do you think i need to go ahead & get radiator flushed or is that part of the tune-up, is there some things i could just get the indy to do, like the main stuff like plugs, oil, belts, etc..., & i could check the other things, what would you recommend, i'd heard cost is $1200 to $1600, or in that ballpark, thx
Old 07-30-2010 | 04:12 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default abs & brake light

i replaced a bulb, in rear taillight, not the same as factory, well i have since changed it & i still can't get the abs & brake lights on the dash to go off, do you have to reset anything or how do i get them to go off? help.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leaking - HELP!