996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a Daily Driver :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some experience in the armored car world... go with the larger/heavier car and make sure the suspension, brakes, and cooling system have been upgraded to handle the extra weight of the armor. You want a car that can push and shove if needed, not just stop bullets. An armored E46 is sort of funny to me - like hardening a Miata.

My favorite armored cars are the old W140 Mercedes S class. They were big, tough, and relatively simple. A tank. Unfortunately those are getting old now. The W220 S class that replaced it is not bad, but more complex. The newest cars from MB and BMW scare me as they are so complex - too many electronic systems to fail at a 'bad time.' If I was going new these days I'd probably go with a Tahoe.

And don't choose this car for looks. It is a tool, not a toy. Low key and boring is good. No fancy rims, no loud exhaust. Quiet and anonymous. Keep the nice car in San Diego and carry a picture of it in your pocket.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

What's up with going to school in Mexico? I struggle to think that getting an education from Mexico prepares you better than an US institution.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought bulletproof windows don't go down?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferre...item2c557451a9

That should be sufficient...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
What's up with going to school in Mexico? I struggle to think that getting an education from Mexico prepares you better than an US institution.
Actually there's a school out in Guadalajara called ITM (Institute of Technology - Monterrey) - it's one of the finest engineering schools in the world when it comes to mining, oil and gas, etc industry. Instantly recognized if you plan to work in that sector in any spanish speaking country.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2000 E39 528i. Fantastic, if underpowered engine. Reliable as the day is long. Good MPG. Looks nice. Cheap to fix. Takes 87 octane. I've had three... love them. They do 200k easily. Just never drive it overheated.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I have some experience in the armored car world... go with the larger/heavier car and make sure the suspension, brakes, and cooling system have been upgraded to handle the extra weight of the armor. You want a car that can push and shove if needed, not just stop bullets. An armored E46 is sort of funny to me - like hardening a Miata.

My favorite armored cars are the old W140 Mercedes S class. They were big, tough, and relatively simple. A tank. Unfortunately those are getting old now. The W220 S class that replaced it is not bad, but more complex. The newest cars from MB and BMW scare me as they are so complex - too many electronic systems to fail at a 'bad time.' If I was going new these days I'd probably go with a Tahoe.

And don't choose this car for looks. It is a tool, not a toy. Low key and boring is good. No fancy rims, no loud exhaust. Quiet and anonymous. Keep the nice car in San Diego and carry a picture of it in your pocket.
Wow, this is the best advice I've heard yet. Thanks a lot.

Living in the US, it's very easy to think that way because of the image we have of Mexico here. I've lived in San Diego my entire life & am ashamed of the kind of culture that represents Mexico here. About 99% of them are ignorant, ghetto, & bad people imo. But what you have to understand, is the ones that the general population doesn't come here. Usually just the worst. It's like judging the US based on people in Compton, lol... Anyway, the school I go to is highly ranked by many, including Forbes. In Spanish it's called ITESM which stands for Instituto Tecnologico Y Estudios Superiores De Monterrey. There is a LOT of people here from the US, France, Germany, etc. I studied at SDSU, & two other colleges back in San Diego & I find that my studies in Guadalajara have so far outclassed the ones in the US. Plus, I'm doing the dual degree program at my school. Instead of doing 4 years in Mexico, I do 3 years in MX & 1 in France. I get a BBA in Mexico & a BIB in France. I'm getting 2 degrees from 2 schools in the time it takes to get 1. You really can't beat that.

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
I think it depends on thickness, manufacturer, &/or how much the original owner wanted to spend. :P
Look at this 5 series: http://beta.autoplaza.com.mx/Autos/B...A13316120.aspx
The front windows roll down.

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
Hahahahahaha!

Originally Posted by roadsession
Actually there's a school out in Guadalajara called ITM (Institute of Technology - Monterrey) - it's one of the finest engineering schools in the world when it comes to mining, oil and gas, etc industry. Instantly recognized if you plan to work in that sector in any spanish speaking country.
Thank you! Someone who knows. ... This is exactly where I am studying.

Originally Posted by niche
2000 E39 528i. Fantastic, if underpowered engine. Reliable as the day is long. Good MPG. Looks nice. Cheap to fix. Takes 87 octane. I've had three... love them. They do 200k easily. Just never drive it overheated.
I can see from your sig that you speak from experience. I might have to listen to your advice on that.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

i had an E39 530i - it had the LED tailights from the factory with NAV and bixenons - (looks better than the first generation E39 528i) - it was an absolute blast to drive and withstood unbelievable amounts of beating. I was sad to sell it - and still think it looks better - cleaner - than the E60 530xi I replaced it with. So if you can find an armored E39 530i or 540i - i would go with that over an E46. It is a 'tougher' car, and I feel like in an emergency it will be more of a tank than the lighter E46. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Oh btw yes - about 10 years ago I visited the ITESM campus where I was invited to lecture. VERY beautiful campus.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Noted..

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Plus, I'm doing the dual degree program at my school. Instead of doing 4 years in Mexico, I do 3 years in MX & 1 in France. I get a BBA in Mexico & a BIB in France. I'm getting 2 degrees from 2 schools in the time it takes to get 1. You really can't beat that.
But he is getting a BA or an international Business degree. Not a BS or MS.

I am not going to argue which country's schools offer the best education. It is the knowledge you acquire from your time there that is important. USA offers the finest education for business administration in both quality and quantity compared to the rest of the world money can buy if you can get in.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Noted..

But he is getting a BA or an international Business degree. Not a BS or MS.

I am not going to argue which country's schools offer the best education. It is the knowledge you acquire from your time there that is important. USA offers the finest education for business administration in both quality and quantity compared to the rest of the world money can buy if you can get in.
and....how is continuing this debate helping answer Raphael's quest for another car
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

and....how is continuing this debate helping answer Raphael's quest for another car
Back on topic. I suggest bullet proofed 1st gen hummer diesel.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
check out the videos i posted ....they have 1"+ thick glass going up and down...lol
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We've owned all those cars at some point, none of them have the correct characteristics for level 3 or 4 protection. You want vehicles with a already substantial platform, which can accommodate large resistant tires and can easily be supercharged. Armor will only protect you momentarily, you nee to be able to MOVE, especially if boxed in by other vehicles. Size matters, and you need torque.

Disclosure: I'm an investor in a protection company, which provides these types of vehicles in Asia. I am not an engineer. I'm not a lawyer. There's no such thing as bulletproof.

The A6 is too heavy to begin with, unless extensive suspension mods were made and the motor is the 2.7TT with majorly upgraded boost or the 4.2L with the RS6 turbo kit I wouldn't go there. If you can find an RS6 to armor that will be a good, big torque (500 ft-lbs easily) low key platform with an already solid suspension. Be prepared to go through CV joints in the front though.

the E46 is a bad idea, for too many reasons to list

I recommend an X5 , LX470 or Landcruiser if you want modern and imported, Tahoe with SC is good choice as well, but if you must go with a sedan and can't find an RS6, select a previous generation W140 S 500 (dime a dozen) and SC it, or turbo/supercharge the e39 540i and roll the fenders as necessary for the protection wheels/tires. The key is low end torque, don't mod for high range power, and don't forget to increase the size or number of your fuel injectors. The LS430 is also a good choice and is nearly invisible. Again you will need to supercharge or turbo charge any of these vehicles.

Don't worry about fuel, modern cars all detune for lower octane, and detonation is the least of your worries. Your best bet is to run a turbo kit with a boost controller in the car. run low to no boost unless you are in an encounter, at which point turn up the juice and get out of there, pinging be damned.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
HoosierChristian
Track Day

Originally Posted by htny;
We've owned all those cars at some point, none of them have the correct characteristics for level 3 or 4 protection. You want vehicles with a already substantial platform, which can accommodate large resistant tires and can easily be supercharged. Armor will only protect you momentarily, you nee to be able to MOVE, especially if boxed in by other vehicles. Size matters, and you need torque.

Disclosure: I'm an investor in a protection company, which provides these types of vehicles in Asia. I am not an engineer. I'm not a lawyer. There's no such thing as bulletproof.

The A6 is too heavy to begin with, unless extensive suspension mods were made and the motor is the 2.7TT with majorly upgraded boost or the 4.2L with the RS6 turbo kit I wouldn't go there. If you can find an RS6 to armor that will be a good, big torque (500 ft-lbs easily) low key platform with an already solid suspension. Be prepared to go through CV joints in the front though.

the E46 is a bad idea, for too many reasons to list

I recommend an X5 , LX470 or Landcruiser if you want modern and imported, Tahoe with SC is good choice as well, but if you must go with a sedan and can't find an RS6, select a previous generation W140 S 500 (dime a dozen) and SC it, or turbo/supercharge the e39 540i and roll the fenders as necessary for the protection wheels/tires. The key is low end torque, don't mod for high range power, and don't forget to increase the size or number of your fuel injectors. The LS430 is also a good choice and is nearly invisible. Again you will need to supercharge or turbo charge any of these vehicles.

Don't worry about fuel, modern cars all detune for lower octane, and detonation is the least of your worries. Your best bet is to run a turbo kit with a boost controller in the car. run low to no boost unless you are in an encounter, at which point turn up the juice and get out of there, pinging be damned.
+1 to this. Great advice on what you need. Having worked in some dicey places (Sao Paulo, Brazil ;Liberia, West Africa; Etc) I have some first hand knowledge of these things, but am by no means an expert.

The key is to be able to keep moving in an emergency situation. The "bullet resistant" car is only that for a few moments and the bad guys know this. Also, the car is only as good as the tactics of the driver. If you are investing in armored cars out of necessity, then the best money you can spend is on a professional driving class from a respected training company(PM me if you want recommendations. I don't have any affiliations, but I can point you to a couple for you to check out further).

Remember that ordinary driving actually becomes more dangerous(typically) in an armored car. The bullet resistant glass is very unforgiving to a human body hitting it at speed, and the braking distance is generally much longer for one of these vehicles.

I also agree that boring and understated is the best choice. The best protection is to be an unattractive target. I'd choose a Tahoe, but there's better qualified people to help you make that decision.

Hope this helps. Stay safe!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally get a G-wagon. I have a G55 AMG as my daily. Aside from the low teens mpg, it's a great truck.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a Daily Driver :)