Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally home after a long journey with the C4S!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Homer
Hey...Long way to go for a car! Can you give some insight on the total cost comparison. good 03-04 Ontario cars seem to be 40-50KCDN..I am hoping to move from my 944 to a C4s, however, kids university fund is competing for attention sadly...

Very nice car!
Ya very long way! Well let's put it this way... I think I only saved about 5 thousand max! When looking back at my plane ticket, hotels, food and gass, it all adds up.

The advantage in doing this is the selection. I would have never found this blue in Canada. Or it would of at least taken me a lonnng time! Also the condition! I found a black one at a dealer here in ottawa with tons of paint chips and ran like garbage asking $56 thousand. Imagine buying that from the dealer with all the after tax's.

I did this because I didn't want to settle for just any 4S, I really wanted a few particulars and in the end I got pretty much exactly what I wanted. (wish the interior was black but oh well).
Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frankv
A few questions about the process since you did what I would like to do ... buy in California and drive it back to Canada. Did you buy private or dealer, did you have to pay state (or any other) taxes, how did it work with insurance. I see that you were able to drive with California plates, is that normal as well.

Thanks, I have done research on this but the process seems to change over time and be different for different states.

Thanks
I bought off a private party.... But either dealer or private, there wont be a difference because you wont be registering it in the U.S anyways thus n o extra taxes or fee's.

I flew in and check the car out, got a PPI and all went through. I set up my money wire prior to the whole visit but I didn't send him the money untill the PPI was completed and I gave the ok on the car. That's when I called my back and gave the OK to release the funds. Note* it takes max 2 days... so be prepared to wait and don't do this on a Thursday or Friday cause you might be caught for the weekend!

He he left me his plates but transfered the name at the DMV to mine for a total of a month. NOt sure how he did this buit he did it for me some how...

Once we finished signing the bill of sale, I then went off with my journey. I also made a call to my insurance company prior to have the car on insurance. So right after the phone call to the bank, I made the call to confirm with insurance....

Have the U.S dealer change the temp and Miles digitally for free.... and download the DRL Hack and do that to avoid the Porsche delears in Canada!

Send in the original title priority mail right away when the transaction is completed and call the next day to see if they received it. Once they receive it you have 72 hours to wait untill you can export/import it.

I made it earlier then that so I left my car at the end of the parking lot at the Duty Free... Talked to the guy inside and everythign was cool. I went back yesterday morning to deal with all the documentation at the border. I had to pay $4500 yesterday when HST hit also...

I am still driving it around in Ottawa with Cali plates legit. I have 45 days to get it checked at Canadian Tire, and then register it at the Ministry of Transportation (more money there on tax's).

I still have to do the DRL hack myself, but it looks so easy....

If you have any more questions let me know,

Alin
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Oh and get the recall letter from the dealer also for free.... Get them to attach a business card, and stamp it to look very legit.

I don't even know if what they gave me was a real "No Recall Letter" Mine said Standard Campaign - No Campaigns on it.

It was printed off their network which was linked to PCNA... this worked for me.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:08 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alin, this is excellent info! Which Porsche dealer did you use since they seemed to be fairly accommodating.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Pacific Porsche in Torrance California.

very helpful indeed except the mec told me it had a rattle from a bracket which holds the muffler in place when in fact it is a baffle within the muffler. Oh well... you have to pay to play.

if you need more info, let me know!

Quick Reply: Finally home after a long journey with the C4S!