996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The vanishing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010 | 06:14 PM
white99c2
Racer

Default The vanishing coolant

The coolant light came on in March, I looked at the recovery tank and noticed it was low so I filled it in-between the low and high lines. A few days later the light came on again, no leaks, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the water.

I took it to Porsche, they had it for 2 days under a pressure test and found nothing wrong, filled it for me and it was fine. They told me it was probably an air bubble in the system and when it popped the coolant settled causing it to be low.

Today just about 3 months later, the recovery tank looked low so I opened it up and it was dry. I added about 16 to 20 ounces to fill it between the 2 marks.

I went for a 75 mile drive came home and its just where it was before I left, in-between the 2 marks for low and high.

I am puzzled again, no coolant in the oil, I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and its still golden color, not foamy or funky.
Old 06-26-2010 | 06:21 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Does it look like it's leaking at the cap? I recall reading something about early caps going bad, and allowing fluid to leak out and evaporate. If the cap is original, it might be worth replacing and they're cheap.
Old 06-26-2010 | 06:30 PM
white99c2
Racer

Its original and a 1999.

Thanks man
Old 06-26-2010 | 07:45 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Somehow, someway, I'd suspect the coolant tank as the culprit. Have you replaced your cap with a newer version? I'd start there.
Old 06-26-2010 | 08:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by azrob226
The coolant light came on in March, I looked at the recovery tank and noticed it was low so I filled it in-between the low and high lines. A few days later the light came on again, no leaks, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the water.

I took it to Porsche, they had it for 2 days under a pressure test and found nothing wrong, filled it for me and it was fine. They told me it was probably an air bubble in the system and when it popped the coolant settled causing it to be low.

Today just about 3 months later, the recovery tank looked low so I opened it up and it was dry. I added about 16 to 20 ounces to fill it between the 2 marks.

I went for a 75 mile drive came home and its just where it was before I left, in-between the 2 marks for low and high.

I am puzzled again, no coolant in the oil, I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and its still golden color, not foamy or funky.
Coolant cap. Wonder why the dealer didn't pressure test the cap? I went through something similar with my 03 Turbo and suspected the cap -- I've already replaced the Boxster's cap after similar circumstances -- and tech at the dealer checked system for pressure leaks and found none then checked cap and found it would not hold pressure. Cap replaced. This car -- my 03 Turbo -- still under warranty.

If you don't want to pay for the diagnostics time you can just replace the cap. Cost should be less than $15 ($13 is what I think I paid for the Boxster's cap).

(You might consider replacing the oil filler tube cap too. The one on my Boxster developed a leak after so many years and the symptoms mimiced a bad MAF.)

Anyhow, after replacing the cap then keep an eye on the fluid level.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: The vanishing coolant