Sponsored by:

Callas Rennsport IMS bearing job

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Harmony Jim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callas Rennsport IMS bearing job

I own a 2000 C2 cabriolet, 6 speed. After reading the threads regarding IMS bearings self-destructing with no warning, I decided to be proactive and replace the Porsche junk with a LN Engineering kit. I had Callas Rennsport in Torrance, Ca. do the work as I had heard great things in regards to quality of work and racing background. Tony, the owner, has a long family history dealing with Porsches, he instructs other Porsche mechanics, and his shop has a library and tool collection like I have never seen anywhere else. His staff was competent, neat, well mannered and very friendly, as were Tony and Tom. They worked with me every step of the way, and replaced the IMS single row bearing parts and labor for under two grand total. While he was in there, I had him install a new RMS (they have the VERY latest Porsche tool which inserts the seal further in the case), and they checked the crank for concentricity with another trick tool before they even attempted to install the latest seal. I also had them install a new clutch disc (flywheel and pressure plate only have 7K miles), and there was no undue pressure to spend more money then I had available. They even installed a GBox second gear detent part in the trans for next to nothing. I just wanted to express my sincere pleasure in using them for this work, and will definitely use them again in the future. If you are looking for some peace of mind in regards to your IMS coming unglued without notice, do what I did, spend the money with these guys and drive without having to turn the radio down every two minutes to listen for the blasted "bearings in a coffee can" sound. Makes driving my car fun again!!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 AM
supark
Advanced

how many miles are on your car and how'd the stock IMS look when it was replaced?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, did they find any oil that got in due to a faulty seal, or was the IMS bearing still in good shape with the factory lube intact?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A 2000 with a single row bearing is unusual...

Congrats on a great experience. In the scheme of things, I still believe this is pretty cheap peace of mind, personally.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:43 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a really good deal.

Having a shop of their caliber caring for your car is money well spent.

Phil
Old 06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've consistently heard good things about Tony and Callas Rennsport
Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, as I have always told anyone who've asked. They are the best in town.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:24 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

how did your stock IMS bearing look? any pics.....
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Harmony Jim
Intermediate

Default Callas Rennsport IMS bearing jib

To answer the above questions, the OEM bearing was in perfect condition (including the seals) when it was removed. The reason it was a single row bearing was that it had a factory installed replacement motor built in 2003 and installed in 2004. The motor has 20K miles on it. There was little or no oil in the IMS interior due to the fact that the bearing and seals were in perfect condition. Mind you, I only say perfect condition until I send it to Charles at LN Engineering to inspect, but according to Tony at Callas Rennsport in Torrance, CA who did the work, his opinion was that the bearing was in good condition. There is no excess radial or lateral movement of the bearing at all.
Even though the incredibly small in size Porsche bearing was fine, I have not a single row of regret (clever, eh?) about replacing it. When you look at how small that OEM bearing is, and then you understand how poor quality it is, AND that the fool engineers at Porsche specified a SEALED bearing rated at 250 degrees max, well you don't need to be a rocket (or bearing) scientist to understand it was money well spent.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

good to hear your "piece of mind" story and positive comments from a Pcar mechanic...now enjoy your drives in good health..
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 AM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happy this proactive IMS upgrade makes your ownership experience work for you! Sounds like a good investment to me!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I reckon whoever made the Bearings, seals, gaskets and plastic parts for the 996 was trying to build a Fiat or an Alfa maybe?.

Shots will be fired.

Quick Reply: Callas Rennsport IMS bearing job