Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like the infamous windshield squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had the "hamster running squeaky wheel" for a few weeks. Traced mine to #10 in redridges post. The tab under the hazard area was where mine was. I moved the whole assembly around/pounded down on it/pulled it sideways/up and down for a few days. The noise disappeared and hasn't returned. That was 3-4 months ago.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Let me know what you find... I may have the same issue.
I managed to reduce the noise by about 50% by removing the defroster cover and liberally placing felt. I think the noise comes from the polystyrene that is under the cover. It has that kind of styrofoam squeak.

Here are the pictures, I bought the adhesive backed felt at Walmart and have a ton left over in read, green and white, if anyone wants it.

Remove the a-pillar trim - it just pulls away (requires some force). Be careful when removing so as not to bend it too much and crease the leather

Remove the center cover for the alarm readiness light (I pried it up, but be careful it's fragile)

Gently use a flat screwdriver to lift the edge of the defroster cover where it butts up against the air vent housing.

Slide you hand underneath to separate tabs and eventually the whole piece will pop out. I worked my way from the a-pillar to the center of the car. Lift away.

Apply felt liberally to underside and around the tabs (sorry its black on back and a bit hard to see if anyone wants the full size picture, I can email it to you)

Also attach felt specifically on edge that touches the a-pillar trim

I would suggest placing felt anywhere the cover comes into contact with the hard polystyrene. I think that this a major source of noise. It might actually be easier to place it on the polystyrene than on the cover.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like the infamous windshield squeak?