Sponsored by:

Roof Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
jcan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Roof Rattle

I've got today off, just had Ed sort out the color of my car interior trim. I'm on a roll so now I'm going to try and figure out where this rattle is coming from...

The rattle sounds like it's coming from above and behind the drivers side side roof area.
I've had a look on older posts and am wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and fixed it. I'll take some photo's as I rip everything out...

Here I go!

Jeff
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jcan
I've got today off, just had Ed sort out the color of my car interior trim. I'm on a roll so now I'm going to try and figure out where this rattle is coming from...

The rattle sounds like it's coming from above and behind the drivers side side roof area.
I've had a look on older posts and am wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and fixed it. I'll take some photo's as I rip everything out...

Here I go!

Jeff
I had the same problem before. In my case, I sprayed Wurth HHS2000 lube on ALL the hinges and tracks that I could see in two different roof positions: fully open and tilted. The creaking was gone and never came back. Make sure you get to the hinges closer to the rear of the car when the roof is tilted. Those are easy to miss.

Don't go crazy though 'cause you don't want oil stain on your headliner! GL.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I've got the same issue, although mine is on the passenger's side. I also have a rattle when I go over railroad tracks or other bumps. It's quite annoying.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
jcan
Advanced

Default Pretty sure this is it!

Digging around and pulling trim off I found the sunroof drain not clipped in on one spot... Maybe that was the noise but I wanted to see in the roof. I pulled the roof liner off and stuck my hand in to feel anything loose. There's a plastic bar that spans the rear of the sunroof, left side loose. I can only just see it if the sunroof is in the kinda open position. I'm glad I found it, I'll have to see how hard it is to put back though....
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
jcan
Advanced

I've got the plastic bar out and am able to look at the two clips that hold it in. One being broken and the other okay. I'm wondering about replacement now. A part number or maybe someone has experience in making clips as I think this clip may be part of an assembly which is working fine apart from this clip...

Anyways if anyone has any help or input it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff
Attached Images     
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll bet that's the same rattle I have when going over any sharp bumps or expansion joints. Annoying to say the least.

If there's no p/n on the clip then you are probably correct that the entire unit would likely need to be ordered.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM
jcan
Advanced

I've been thinking about just getting rid of it... But I then realized it's the catch for any water that gets thru... What to do what to do......
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, wonder how it got broken up like that. It's metal, right?
Good job tracking down the problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jcan
I've been thinking about just getting rid of it... But I then realized it's the catch for any water that gets thru... What to do what to do......
Just wondering if maybe some stick-on Velcro would work?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 PM
jcan
Advanced

Default Solved

So I ran through the parts list and couldn't find just the clip. Went to Home Depot to think and look for inspiration. I found it, I'm not sure how long it will last but it seems to be working really well so far.

The metal ribbon/straps they use to ship pipes is springy metal the right thickness and pretty easy to work with.

Also I included a photo of the sunroof liner, I washed it in soap and water with brush... Not sure if that's good or not but it made a big difference in a good way. After I saw the before and after I washed the whole thing again (I'd only done half at this stage) and it came up perfect. I had to give the one side a good scrub as it was some kind of dripping mark on it, gone now. The only problem is it's made the rest of the interior look sad. Maybe next day off...

If your car has a rattle in the roof it's easy to check if it's this cause. Open the sunroof in the tilt position and put your finger on the water drain plastic bar that spans the aft of the sunroof. If it moves down nicely, a little springy it's probably fine. If it doesn't move then it's more than likely broken and rattles when going over bumps. Hope this helps others

Jeff

Name:  P1100981.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  P1100985.jpg
Views: 3105
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  P1100983.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  P1100986.jpg
Views: 3097
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  P1100987.jpg
Views: 3893
Size:  52.0 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by jcan:
peterp (12-02-2021), sudodan (07-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job with the fabrication!

I had a rattle going over bumps at one time, tilt up the sunroof, and it doesn't rattle. Then one fine day, the rattling just decided to go away. I haven't heard it in a while... Now it's in my dash/instrument cluster area!

Wait...didn't they say Corvette's cheap interior rattles all over after a while??
Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi guys

Im reviving this old thread caise I have a problem with the same plastic rail as the OP but I think he's not an active member anymore.
The first pictures illustrate the plastic rail I need to take off.

Mine catched somewhere in the roof and bent in the middle. There's a metal crossbar in the roof that is suppose to be covered in carpet so when the plastic rail touch that metal crossbar is slide over it instead of catching.. In my car the carpet fell off, the plastic rail catched on it and its now bent.

I would like to take it off for repair but Im wondering how. From the pictures I can see it hold by 2 metal clips on each side. Can you tell me more about the procedure to take it off without damaging the clips.

Now as soon as a little drop of water pass the main seal the water either stay in the rail that is bent or fall on the side and drip into the car...

Your infos would be really appreaciated.

Thanks
Hugo

Quick Reply: Roof Rattle