Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

x74 + Porsche Sports Pads + engine cleaned (partially)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Anyone know of the best place (meaning best price) to purchase the
ROWM030?

Has the exchange rate made them less expensive compared to the already low prices at suncoast and sunset?
Gert (Carnewal) is running a special on ROW M030. EURO 925 shipping included. You need to add ~2.5% US import tax on top of that though if you're counting tens (you'll receive a nice invoice from Fedex saying you own them $$$ way after you receive the item)

BTW, I got my x74 from Gert. Top notch seller and a very good business man!

Also Gert ships very fast and you should get your kit directly from Belgium within a wk or so after you order.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Your Porsche must drive so much better now Ahsai. You did a nice job cleaning under the engine and suspension parts as well...thanks for the pics.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
@Dell - nice writeup on the comparo and can't agree more! BTW, do you think 0 toe in the front is proper or too darty? I kind of miss the straigth-tracking (but more numb) feel right after the install, where the front toe was about 1mm teo-in before the alignment:
Absolutely. Neutral toe (0) is what you want up front and what your goal is with any alignement setting. Anything outside of neutral is done to compensate for suspension changes under load. Typically, toe is set to toe out in front to aid in turn-in for track work but will give a darty feel straight line. But, for street and just spirited driving, neutral is best. Toe in is a no-no up front as it gets you nothing except contribution to understeer.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Barn996
Your Porsche must drive so much better now Ahsai. You did a nice job cleaning under the engine and suspension parts as well...thanks for the pics.
Thanks! Yes, the car drives at least 10x better and it no longer looks like a 4x4.

Engine cleaning is just the first cut, need to go in there again. Also need to de-cosmoline the rear suspension too but there's so much rubber there. Can't use Googone.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Absolutely. Neutral toe (0) is what you want up front and what your goal is with any alignement setting. Anything outside of neutral is done to compensate for suspension changes under load. Typically, toe is set to toe out in front to aid in turn-in for track work but will give a darty feel straight line. But, for street and just spirited driving, neutral is best. Toe in is a no-no up front as it gets you nothing except contribution to understeer.
Thanks Dell for the explanation. That makes sense.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

i have the x-74 on my 2000.
one suggestion-----gt-3 sway bars & drop links.
MAJOR improvement.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sparks259
i have the x-74 on my 2000.
one suggestion-----gt-3 sway bars & drop links.
MAJOR improvement.
Really? It's hard to imagine it can get MUCH better.

Thanks and will keep that in mind...if I ever find my suspension inadequate...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Really? It's hard to imagine it can get MUCH better.

Thanks and will keep that in mind...if I ever find my suspension inadequate...
upgrade the sways..... a night and day diff.... more than the coilovers IMO.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
upgrade the sways..... a night and day diff.... more than the coilovers IMO.
The x74 package already comes with upgraded sways. You mean upgrade that to GT3's sways?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The x74 package already comes with upgraded sways. You mean upgrade that to GT3's sways?
My guess is the suggestion is for more adjustability which the GT3 ARB's have. 5 settings in the front and 4 in the rear. Also, adding a setup of adjustable drop links will allow you have them set for YOUR car. Further, the various ARB settings will allow you to maximize the suspension.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Put the engine protection plate on, too.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Great to hear you like the X74! I bought it for the same reasons as you. I would also get the protection plate....I think my engine runs a little warmer now though.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I think my engine runs a little warmer now though.
LOL - I think you're just driving harder now!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

My guess is the suggestion is for more adjustability which the GT3 ARB's have. 5 settings in the front and 4 in the rear. Also, adding a setup of adjustable drop links will allow you have them set for YOUR car. Further, the various ARB settings will allow you to maximize the suspension.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Since "sparks" mentioned MAJOR improvement. I wonder how major it can be given it's such a nice setup already.

Oh, btw Dell, your x73 comes with beefier engine mounts, right? Do you know why those are not needed for the X74? Maybe the C4 chasis is strong enough to take those mounts but not the C2's?

Originally Posted by Van
Put the engine protection plate on, too.
Yes, I have the parts already. Just waiting for the undercarriage cleaning to be done before putting it on. Will be careful driving it in the meantime.

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Great to hear you like the X74! I bought it for the same reasons as you. I would also get the protection plate....I think my engine runs a little warmer now though.
Pete! No, I bought it the same reasons YOU bought it Thanks to your x74 review, and many others'. I must have read all the x74 reviews over the Internet before I broke down. I agree with VAN, it's unlikely b/c of the plate
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Since "sparks" mentioned MAJOR improvement. I wonder how major it can be given it's such a nice setup already.
Not major at all. Think of it as a step up. Major would be moving to a blade ARB

Oh, btw Dell, your x73 comes with beefier engine mounts, right? Do you know why those are not needed for the X74? Maybe the C4 chasis is strong enough to take those mounts but not the C2's?
The C4 chassis is indeed strong enough. In fact, it's the Tub used for the GT3 based on it's strength. Not sure the reasoning behind not having the mounts in the X74 package.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Not major at all. Think of it as a step up. Major would be moving to a blade ARB

The C4 chassis is indeed strong enough. In fact, it's the Tub used for the GT3 based on it's strength. Not sure the reasoning behind not having the mounts in the X74 package.
That's what I thought too. Thanks for confirming. I looked up blade ARB but didn't find much info. Looks like it's cockpit adjustable. I'm done with MOD for now. All I need now is more time to drive and enjoy the car

Quick Reply: x74 + Porsche Sports Pads + engine cleaned (partially)