996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

***SOLVED*** convertible top not folding closed quite right (PICS) -

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey it might not matter at this point but I think I figured out that bolt.

What's even weirder is apparently bike components use them too:

Last edited by Woodman71; 10-06-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 03-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I’m lost

Originally Posted by Anders Flodin
Attachment in vice for cleaning out

Cleaning with small drillbit

Boom, rivet and attachment

Cleaning out a bit more with larger bit and what is left of rivet sits on bit

This how the attachment sits on the spring

This is where it goes, to the joint where top frame arms are attached

I loosen the cable down here so it is easier to rivet the thing in place

Measuring with a drill bit the size of rivet 5/32 fits nicely
Now off to get rivet
How do I get the top separated and able to access the spring attachment point??
Old 03-03-2021, 07:15 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 422 Posts

In this video, around 6 minutes, he takes the top off and shows the plate that the cable attaches to. You need to backup in the video to see how he disassembles the front piece and side rails. The video is a boxster but the disassembly for the 996 is the same. I followed this for the broken rivet on my 996 and it turned out quite well. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
bbboomer67 (06-26-2024)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:28 PM
rennlistherr
1st Gear

Originally Posted by byrona8
Thank you everyone for the contributions to this thread. It has helped me find my problem to my 997 top. I will say that it is missing one thing.
Based on the mushroom on the mounting point, the rivet gun was originally placed with the rivet gun on the inside ( headliner side) of the top.
I looked quite a lot at the pin the rivet set in. I'm nearly certain the rivet is a hammer-style that was indeed inserted from the outside and hammered into place. This rivet is a different style than the typical one a DIY'er uses. Mine broke off pretty clean, and I could see that the pin was not open on the inside end. I found the broken off top portion of the rivet, but the inner port is not to be found. I would guess Porsche simple didn't seat the rivets in far enough first time around.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:39 PM
clowntrigger
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm reviving this thread because it saved my sanity. My driver's side was off track for several years and I was too lazy to fix it. When the passenger side let go last week, I finally gave up and started looking for a solution. This thread had all the answers and I want to thank every single one of the contributors for helping with this problem.

Now I have to fix the hydraulic pump, as it's dumped all its fluid from going up and down too many times today. But, that's another thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by clowntrigger:
Drhamgt2 (05-08-2023), rennlistherr (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:01 PM
Anders Flodin
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad it helped!
I just bought a new canvas top so next write-up/video will be on how to (not?) replace the top
Old 12-01-2022, 02:27 AM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 78 Posts

There seems to be a few issues surrounding top operation that are I think covered in this thread, but not sure if I'm in repair or replace land. My new to me 1999 has side folding in issues, and some of the top material pulling away from the tension wires.

It seems the elastic band that goes across the whole top is pulling so hard it's yanked the tension wire up under when closing. This has kinked it inwards and i have to manually push it into the lower rail (in pic) just before it latches. The fabric has also pulled away from the tension wire (I assume this is not fixable less an upholstery shop). I don't see any broken rivets like above- is the wire just stretched? and thus not fixable? Is the elastic in middle of top just too tight?

Overall, the material seems in great condition - rear window too is tight and not too hazy.

(and while I'm here - what specific fluid should I get for hydraulic pump for top - going to remove carpet and check that this weekend)

Old 06-22-2024, 09:29 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben8jam
There seems to be a few issues surrounding top operation that are I think covered in this thread, but not sure if I'm in repair or replace land. My new to me 1999 has side folding in issues, and some of the top material pulling away from the tension wires.

It seems the elastic band that goes across the whole top is pulling so hard it's yanked the tension wire up under when closing. This has kinked it inwards and i have to manually push it into the lower rail (in pic) just before it latches. The fabric has also pulled away from the tension wire (I assume this is not fixable less an upholstery shop). I don't see any broken rivets like above- is the wire just stretched? and thus not fixable? Is the elastic in middle of top just too tight?

Overall, the material seems in great condition - rear window too is tight and not too hazy.

(and while I'm here - what specific fluid should I get for hydraulic pump for top - going to remove carpet and check that this weekend)

Ben8jam, Did you ever find the solution to your top problem...?
Old 06-26-2024, 12:21 AM
whissm
Cruisin'

Thanks so much for the information. Turns out the rivet had snapped so the cable was just hanging, I was able to fasten it back in position and all is now functioning as it should and no more gap in the soft top! All in all it took me about an hour to do the whole job.

Quick Reply: ***SOLVED*** convertible top not folding closed quite right (PICS) -