Sponsored by:

GT3 console delete from a targa

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT3 console delete from a targa

The center console is really bothering me, so it's time to remove it. However I have the heated seat and targa controls to move. I'm thinking of moving the heated seat controls to the middle console using the 2 open ones behind the window controls.

For the targa controls, there are 2 open switch areas just below the PSM button and above the intermittent windshield controller.

The heated seat controls should be pretty simple since I'll have the rear console out. But what about getting behind the other area so I can put the targa controls there?
Old 01-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Resurrecting this thread in hopes this will help anyone in the future, like I was a few months ago.

To answer the question: yes it can be done, and is actually easier than one thinks!

On my car, I moved the heated switch buttons to the middle console, as I felt that was more intuitive and ergonomic. These buttons *just* reach without requiring extending the wires but it is very tight and doesn't leave much slack. This is with the CDR23 head unit.

For the Targa controls, I moved them to the rear buttons on the center console. The left is to open/close the roof, the right to open/close the sunshade. For these I had to extend the wires. You do have to remove the center console, but that allows plenty of room to work and position the wires. I ended up running them under the Tiptronic shift lever as there is a slight gap and it made things a bit tidier.

An additional challenge for me, is that my car has a Natural Brown interior. While they do make a delete kit for this color, it is not stocked anywhere in the US. I acquired mine from Rose Passion in France for actually slightly less (at the time) then a standard color kit. It did take about six weeks to arrive, however.

I encourage any tall person to put in the console delete kit. I am 6'5" and it made a tremendous difference in overall comfort.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:05 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,414 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Any pictures?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:17 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Any pictures?
I took a few mid install that I used as reference pictures, and now realize I didn't take any once it was all finished. I'll take some and post them up here.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:46 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I have this on my targa, the gt3 console delete.
Anyone thinking of doing this remember that targas are built on the convertible platforms so if you have the extra bose subwoofer option in the passenger footwell it sits right where the delete lines up. There will be a gap that you have to have covered or cover yourself. Then you need new floormats if you pull the sub out. It turns into a bit more than you bargained for.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
I have this on my targa, the gt3 console delete.
Anyone thinking of doing this remember that targas are built on the convertible platforms so if you have the extra bose subwoofer option in the passenger footwell it sits right where the delete lines up. There will be a gap that you have to have covered or cover yourself. Then you need new floormats if you pull the sub out. It turns into a bit more than you bargained for.
Great point. I have the Bose system and thus a bit of the subwoofer housing juts out. Going to cover it with a piece of the carpet that was removed from the center console.

Quick Reply: GT3 console delete from a targa