996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

iPhone Lap timer Apps...any good ones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Lap timer Apps...any good ones?

Hello,

Has anyone tried Lap Timer apps for the iPhone.
...data acquisition?

Are there any good or better ones?
Any comparisons with "regular" GPS based data acquisition/timers?
...comments on accuracy, etc.

BTW - For me, this would be for personal use to track my progression in DE's and lapping days, not a serious race application.

Thanks,
DF
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Dynolicious is pretty good. Consistently good reviews by car mags. I think it was C&D who said that it was almost as accurate as a Mustang Dyno for calculating power (which maybe says something about dynos). The math it uses is pretty foolproof. Your results will be best if you can be precise about the weight of the vehicle.

Amazon sells an iPhone mount that uses the vents in the dash that's ideally suited to this use.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Harry's is pretty much the standard for iPhone applications.

The real key to getting them to work is getting a solid GPS signal lock. Most of the time you'll find the phone won't do it by itself over a 20 minute session. If you loose solid signal you'll often times find the lap timer falling behind quite a bit or logging like every other lap.

Per Harry's website tips I picked up the TomTom car cradle for iPhone with has a stand along GPS signal booster in the unit itself and found Harry's app to work pretty well configured like that.

However I'm really not that fond of having the thing mounted above dash height as it restricts view a little bit no matter where you have it.

None of them are a good substitute for a Traqmate or higher end data acquisition system. For $5 + the $100 windsheild mount it's kinda cool though.

Andy
Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

THIS one with a iPhone tom tom gps cradle mount

Quick Reply: iPhone Lap timer Apps...any good ones?