Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Auto Advantage Inc.- Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
johonole
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Advantage Inc.- Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Anyone familiar with the extended warranty company Auto Advantage Inc?

I am considering a warranty from them and would like to get all the input I can before I leap.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by johonole
Anyone familiar with the extended warranty company Auto Advantage Inc?

I am considering a warranty from them and would like to get all the input I can before I leap.
Google the name. I did just to see what I hits I got.

The company comes in for some good word of mouth circa 2005 on a BMW (M5) forum.

One thing I picked up reading the posts is the price quoted varied so ask for quotes several times and in as many different ways as you can cause you might get the same coverage for $$$ less.

Always read the fine print. This is not the same as the sales literature. Get a copy of an actual contract that details the coverage you'll be getting and read it through several times.

One guy almost got bit cause the extended warranty (service) company he was thinking of signing up with didn't pay the going labor rate in his area, but some very low rate that would have left him on the hook for a large portion of a major repair bill.

Always be sure what's covered and what is not. Generally -- and I'm no expert --- what is not stated as being covered is not covered. And even if something is covered -- for instance "powertrain" -- be sure this includes seals, gaskets, bearings and other "little" stuff besides shafts, gears, control modules, housings, etc.

Why? Well, for example my Turbo's in the shop for a tranny leak among other things and it is not clear yet if the leak requires a tranny teardown to repair the leaking seal or if a tranny replacement is called for.

It is a day's labor (@ $150/hour) to remove the tranny (and then replace it when fixed) plus whatever hours are needed to tear down and repair and reassemble the tranny.

Or if a replacement is called for a replacement tranny is nearly $9500.

The leak? A tiny shifter rod seal. Luckily for me the car is still under its CPO warranty, but you can see how even a small part can result in a big repair bill.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had them once. they replaced major parts with rebuild parts, not new.

and they fought every claim. mostly by not answering the phone from my shop. the shop foreman got really upset as he had to spend hours on hold.

surfer161

Quick Reply: Auto Advantage Inc.- Good, Bad, or Ugly?