Sponsored by:

KW V3 adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Ken7258
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW V3 adjustments

I just got some KW V3 for my 2001 996 C2. I wanted something more more for the track then my 9 year old stock suspension. This car is also my daily driver. Is it easy to adjust them stiffer for the track and then softer for the street or is this not worth the hassle. I do change my wheels with r compunds for each track day. What settings do you guys run them at. I have GT3 sways and adjustable droplinks. I'm having them installed/aligned/corner balanced over the next couple day. My installer who does a lot of suspension work for club racers was going to start in the middle and see what I think. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

what are your first impression over your old suspension ? did you had a chance to drive it yet ? worth the investment ? and why did you go for KW instead of PSS ?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Ken7258
Instructor

They're being installed tomorrow, I'll be at the track all weekend. I'll let you know how I like them.

Everyone said these are a lot better for the track then PSS10's. They are used but in decent shape and I only paid 1,500 for them.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:00 AM
SealGrey986
Track Day

I`ve hade KW V3`s for two years and have driven thousands of track miles. I don`t consider myself as an expert but I`ve been an instructor at local porsche clubs track day and I`m one of the fastest drivers on Norsdschleife public days. My car is -99 C2 with KW V3, GT2 brakes, aerokit and monoball suspension kit and GT3 front control arms. I`m running r-compunds on trackdays (currently Pirelli Corsa Motorsport, hade also Pilot Cups and Toyo R888`s). Corner balanced and very agressive setup (Manthey Nordschleife, camber front 3 and rear 2.5)

Variant 3 has very good basic setup. How ever it is made for street tires. The biggest problem for r-compunds is too soft springs. Not a big problem but they could be stiffer for track tires like track focused KW clubsport and Manthey spec variant 3 are. The best thing with stock setup is that springs and shocks work very well together. If you stiffen shocks a lot springs becomes two soft for them and they are not working together. Depending on race track I would go just a little bit stiffer (rear 2-3 and front 1-2 clicks) for bound and would not toutch rebound. When I made some testing with different rebound setups car started to work only worse. Slides became very big and I really had to work to get the car straight trought corners (too stiff rear rebound). Also when stiffening bound the suspension became too "death" on bumpy Nordschleife so that was not a good for me either.

So you really don`t have to make a lot of tuning to find the right setup. Just make bound a little bit stiffer for track days and if you have some problems with your car like too much understeer in turn in or turn out you can fine tune it by making certain changes to front and rear bound and rebound but we can discuss more about that later when you have first tested your setup. Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting comments!

are you refering to "compression" when you say "bound"?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM
SealGrey986
Track Day

Originally Posted by nick49
Interesting comments!

are you refering to "compression" when you say "bound"?
Yes. Monoballs are uniballs (german) and comperssion bound etc... here in europe

And if somebody have any experience about V3 adjustments I would also like to hear! Some one might have found better setup than I`ve even it depends quite much about the car (other suspension parts, tires, alligement...)

Forgot to mention about my setup that I`ve also H&R sway bars (rear soft) and about 60kg/130lbs weight reduction but have 30kg/65lbs extra weight rollbar + 3rd radiator and factory LSD (and 27kg/60lbs more coming for this summe r)

Quick Reply: KW V3 adjustments