996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AC Condensation?? Help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010 | 06:33 AM
panski
Rennlist Member

Default AC Condensation?? Help..

I've noticed this past few days there is some water remains under neath driver's carpet (RHD). Is this condensation? Could this be caused by some AC airflow blockage?

I remember when I first got the car back in Feb., when I tried the defroster blower (in high speed), there came out some flakes (NOT dusts), something like foam flakes. Could this be the culprit? Advise please..

Cheers
Old 05-16-2010 | 01:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by panski
I've noticed this past few days there is some water remains under neath driver's carpet (RHD). Is this condensation? Could this be caused by some AC airflow blockage?

I remember when I first got the car back in Feb., when I tried the defroster blower (in high speed), there came out some flakes (NOT dusts), something like foam flakes. Could this be the culprit? Advise please..

Cheers
Once or twice after running AC on cold for a while and shutting it off to let the system dry out before putting the car away if the weather was real humid and warm the warm humid air would cause water droplets to form on the cold A/C vents and I might have felt a drop or two of water blow onto my bare arm if I had the fan speed setting on high or a drop of water fall on my pants leg.

But to generate enough water to dampen the carpet under the seat?

I'd be more inclined to suspect one or more drains is blocked and water's getting into the cabin from water backing up from the blocked drain. The water can be rain water of course if the car sits out in the rain or even wash water from when the car's washed.

IIRC the 996 has some drains under the cowl covers. You'll have to remove these and look and be sure the hole at the bottom of the drain basins is free and clear of any trash and water an drain right out and down. Be careful clearing any blockage. You don't want to crack/break the basin material.

If you suspect the A/C's generating the water you ought to with the A/C running like you've been using it getting down and feeling with your hands for any signs of water dripping down on the carpet.

Oh, the foam flakes is just some insulation coming apart. I don't think it plays a role in what you're experiencing but I may be wrong. I'd check for blocked drains, or douse the car with water from a garden hose and check for signs of water getting in past a leaking front or side or rear glass seal. Check bottom of doors for any signs of dampness too.

Then do the A/C test thing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-17-2010 | 08:06 AM
panski
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Hi Macster, much thanks for the inputs. I will do as prescribed. However, this past 2-days, I've noticed that there is water when I put/press the 'down-arrow' for below blower. When AC is on with the 'oval/center' pressed, no noticeable drops...

I shall check and update on findings..

Cheers
Old 05-17-2010 | 02:55 PM
relinuca
Pro

Originally Posted by panski

Cheers
Panski,

I had a very similar problem recently with my '99 Cabriolet. Following a several hour trip in scorching weather (A/C on "high"), I discovered the right side carpet was soaked!

Cause: the condensation overflow hose was plugged with debris. This clear plastic hose can be disconnected from under the dash (right side) and blown out with an air hose.

Relinuca
Old 05-17-2010 | 09:03 PM
panski
Rennlist Member

Interesting Relinuca, appreciate the input..I will be working on it this week-end & radiator clean-up too

Cheers

Originally Posted by relinuca
Panski,

I had a very similar problem recently with my '99 Cabriolet. Following a several hour trip in scorching weather (A/C on "high"), I discovered the right side carpet was soaked!

Cause: the condensation overflow hose was plugged with debris. This clear plastic hose can be disconnected from under the dash (right side) and blown out with an air hose.

Relinuca

Quick Reply: AC Condensation?? Help..