996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DRL's on a 03 C4S...

Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

For some reason I can't find the fuse taps... Does anyone know where I can get these?
I was never able to find them. Take the car to AutoImport on Woodward and Jason can do it for you with a jumper wire. They took care of the inspection for me at the Canadian Tire nearby including the child retraint anchor.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you pay 200$ at canadian tire?

Because when I chose the Ottawa location 2 Canadian tire's came up at one VW restoration shop in Manotik. If i go to the VW guy, he doesn't charge anything... I just need to pass the inspection.

I'll try going to the guy at AutoImport for the DRL's... Where can I buy a child restraint anchor?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Where can I buy a child restraint anchor?
Canadian Tire will include it during the RIV inspection.

Just ask AutoImport to help you with the RIV. Canadian Tire has the exclusive contract with RIV and AutoImport set it all up for me.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Canadian Tire will include it during the RIV inspection.

Just ask AutoImport to help you with the RIV. Canadian Tire has the exclusive contract with RIV and AutoImport set it all up for me.
I've had a great experience with AutoImport! I got my alignment done there for my previous car. I will also go to them for my next alignment once I slap on new tires.

Thanks, I will check them out shortly for the RIV inspection!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the soon-to-be owner of a 2003 C4S and I intend to be hacking it with Yoseif's $10 hack. It sounds as though there have been reams of people who have used the $10 hack with the litronic headlights with no ill effects - some even install it only long enough to pass the RIV inspection and then remove it. I don't believe this should have any long-term ill effects.

I once modified the headlight harness on a 2004 Toyota Sienna to upgrade the headlights to HIDs. In doing this, as I'm a bit of an electrical nut, I discovered that the "feed" wire for normal halogen headlights and HIDs carries pretty much the same voltage, etc. (I metered it on my workbench) The difference with the HIDs, of course, is that the current gets amplified/modified by the ballast and that is why the voltage is so high at the headlight itself (and thus those yellow warning stickers all over the headlights!)

I'll be going up to Active Electronics in the next few days to find the necessary supplies.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Congrats with the purchase!

You'll find all you need at a "the source" store. Install will take less than 15 minutes.
I removed my jumpers after inspection.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by spender
I am the soon-to-be owner of a 2003 C4S and I intend to be hacking it with Yoseif's $10 hack. It sounds as though there have been reams of people who have used the $10 hack with the litronic headlights with no ill effects - some even install it only long enough to pass the RIV inspection and then remove it. I don't believe this should have any long-term ill effects.

I once modified the headlight harness on a 2004 Toyota Sienna to upgrade the headlights to HIDs. In doing this, as I'm a bit of an electrical nut, I discovered that the "feed" wire for normal halogen headlights and HIDs carries pretty much the same voltage, etc. (I metered it on my workbench) The difference with the HIDs, of course, is that the current gets amplified/modified by the ballast and that is why the voltage is so high at the headlight itself (and thus those yellow warning stickers all over the headlights!)

I'll be going up to Active Electronics in the next few days to find the necessary supplies.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 AM
spender
Pro

I just did Yoseif's DRL hack, and hot damn, it works exactly as advertised! I have a 2003 C4S with bi-xenons. It is "true" DRL, in that only the main headlights come on, nothing else (i.e. no tail or fog lights, and the gauges don't light up or anything like that either).

Does anyone know if there is a negative long-term effect from using the "hack"? If I leave it on too long, will it fry anything important? Or is it basically harmless? If someone could let me know, that would be great. Otherwise, I will follow the comments of one of the other posters here and just remove it once I get my Canadian "papers".

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spender
I just did Yoseif's DRL hack, and hot damn, it works exactly as advertised! I have a 2003 C4S with bi-xenons. It is "true" DRL, in that only the main headlights come on, nothing else (i.e. no tail or fog lights, and the gauges don't light up or anything like that either).

Does anyone know if there is a negative long-term effect from using the "hack"? If I leave it on too long, will it fry anything important? Or is it basically harmless? If someone could let me know, that would be great. Otherwise, I will follow the comments of one of the other posters here and just remove it once I get my Canadian "papers".

Thanks!
I did the hack as well, but just for the inspection and then I took it out.... I'm pretty sure it won't fry anything!

I like your Avatar! Have you seen the episode when they went to Romania!! Pretty nice! They found the "best road ever" there...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 PM
spender
Pro

Thanks for the feedback! Seems like most people just leave it in for the inspection, and then pull it. I looked at the electrical chart / fuse map, and it seems that the jumped fuse (heated seats) is of similar amperage as the headlights.

Yes, I did see that episode of Top Gear, where they drove that road through the mountains that goes nowhere, very cool!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Not the Stig
5th Gear

As an aside here is a dirt cheap way of doing the DRL hack with stuff you probably have at home already.
https://sites.google.com/site/996drlhack/
My heated seat fuse was 25A and the one jumped to was 15A

Last edited by Not the Stig; 10-15-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: link correction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DRL's on a 03 C4S...