996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got to try a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A turbo is the one car that could tempt me to take a financial bath in my C2. It's not really the performance... I can hardly make use of what I've got. It's more of a sentimental thing. That engine is the final development of the original 911 flat 6. It really was the end of an era.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
A turbo is the one car that could tempt me to take a financial bath in my C2. It's not really the performance... I can hardly make use of what I've got. It's more of a sentimental thing. That engine is the final development of the original 911 flat 6. It really was the end of an era.
+1000
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tippy
I would buy a TT.

If I was a hardcore track guy I would remove the front diff and lighten to taste...
I tried that. Without an LSD and still an open diff, removing the shaft to make the car RWD isn't "enough."
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So first of all I hate you again.

Second, how much lag are you anticipating in the corners compared to NA 996's? Is it negligible? Maybe I should take a spin in a turbo....
Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, it wouldn't be fair to call the 996 turbo the end of that motor, aren't the current GT3s still derived from it?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The 997.1 Turbos (2005 - 2009) also have the dry sump engine used in the 996 Turbos.

The C2, C2S, C4, C4S and Targa got the new 9A1 engine in 2009 but the Turbo didn't convert to the new engine until 2010.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Second, how much lag are you anticipating in the corners compared to NA 996's? Is it negligible? Maybe I should take a spin in a turbo....
In the turbo, it wasn't so much "lag" but the power delivery was much more like an of-off switch. (Again, this was a modified turbo, so I don't know how it compares to stock.)

In my 944, which is a laggy car, you step on the gas pedal mid-corner, and there's a moment of delay (lag) and then you feel t-u-r-B-O power - it's a progressive increase in power as the revs climb.

In the 996 TT, it was much more like: pressing the gas mid-corner was like flipping the switch that turned on the 2nd engine. Instantly, you felt like you had nearly twice the power you had a moment ago.

While my student was driving, it was semi-damp conditions the 1st session - the line was dry, but the rest of the track was damp. Anyhow, he'd get the passing signal, he'd pull off-line to pass, give the car a little throttle, and the wheels would spin. I was telling him, "no need to go full throttle, just ease on the gas to pass." Well, the joke was on me - when I drove the car, I realized he *was* easing the gas on!

Going back to how this felt in the corner, it meant you had to drive the right line in - because after you stepped on the gas, pure physics and trajectory was going to take over - if everything wasn't lined up, you're going to be off-track in a hurry!

But, when everything was lined up, and when the "afterburner" kicked in, corner exit was pure joy, with a gear shift coming faster than you can think as the car gobbled up the straight.

To summarize, I'd say there wasn't much lag, but I'd also say that the power delivery wasn't progressive. You know how in the NA cars, there's that little peppy spot as the variocam kicks in? Imagine that mid-acceleration power boost magnified by 10 (or maybe more!).
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
In the turbo, it wasn't so much "lag" but the power delivery was much more like an of-off switch. (Again, this was a modified turbo, so I don't know how it compares to stock.)

[...]

But, when everything was lined up, and when the "afterburner" kicked in, corner exit was pure joy, with a gear shift coming faster than you can think as the car gobbled up the straight.

To summarize, I'd say there wasn't much lag, but I'd also say that the power delivery wasn't progressive. You know how in the NA cars, there's that little peppy spot as the variocam kicks in? Imagine that mid-acceleration power boost magnified by 10 (or maybe more!).
This is why the TT doesn't pull (much) from GT3s on the track. The GT3 is on the throttle so much earlier in the corner that the Turbo's extra HP can't overcome the difference unless the straight is pretty long. Also, in the twisty bits where you hustle the car for short bursts, the TT doesn't have time to use it's forced induction advantage. [Also, you have to shift more in the TT due to its low redline].

It sounds about right that a highly modded TT pushing 600 HP would keep up with/pass a GT3, depending on the track. But I would still take the GT3 for the track. On the street, I might go with the TT. But probably not

-td
Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
The 997.1 Turbos (2005 - 2009) also have the dry sump engine used in the 996 Turbos.

The C2, C2S, C4, C4S and Targa got the new 9A1 engine in 2009 but the Turbo didn't convert to the new engine until 2010.
Could just be a case of broken telephone, here, so sorry if that's the case, but.... the C2, C2S, C4, C4S and Targa never shared an engine with the Turbo. In other words, no Turbo has ever had an M96 based engine in it, AFAIK. So the question is, did any car after the last Turbo use the GT1 derived motor. My understanding is that when this engine was retired from Turbo duty in the last model year, that was it for the 'original' motor.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Natural aspiration for the win. I love the turbo's don't get me wrong, but unless you run a hedge fund, which I obviously do not, it's just too damn expensive.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could just be a case of broken telephone, here, so sorry if that's the case, but.... the C2, C2S, C4, C4S and Targa never shared an engine with the Turbo. In other words, no Turbo has ever had an M96 based engine in it, AFAIK. So the question is, did any car after the last Turbo use the GT1 derived motor. My understanding is that when this engine was retired from Turbo duty in the last model year, that was it for the 'original' motor.
The last turbo to use the m64/gt1 block was the 2009 997 turbo

the only cars currently using that engine are the gt3 / gt3rs (however it is no longer a 3.6, over to 3.8 now, and making as much as 450 bhp naturally aspirated)

Quick Reply: Got to try a turbo