Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just ordered new Sumitomo HTR Z III tires

Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

I put the Sumi IIIs on my car(2000 C2) late last fall and so far I really like them. They do not grip quite as well as the Michelins they replaced but on the street it is very hard to say for certain as the cars limits are so high.

They certainly give great dry/wet grip for the money and I am very happy with my choice. I hope to do an AX soon with them. I'll be happy if they give me 8/10 - 9/10ths of the Michelin's performance.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 04-09-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Specified tire model.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine went on today. And while admittedly my PS2's were quite worn, the ride on my commute home was sure a lot more enjoyable - much softer and quieter!

Unfortunately it's snowing here today so tomorrow might be a "take your truck to work" day....
Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Tires are on but since it was raining all I did was drive the 3+ miles back home from the shop.

But just on that short drive I realized how bad my previous set must have been. The ride is so much smoother and quieter. I'll give a full assessment in a few days once I get to push them a bit!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
My car is on break right now as I'm working on replacing the spark plugs (I got 4 done, gotta do the last two tonight!).

As I was under the car I realized that the driver's side rear tire is down to the cords on the inside AND it has a nail in it. So after much research and primarily based on price, I went with the Sumitomo HTR Z III tires. Even though my front Michelin's are still in great shape I will replace the whole set (anyone want used Michelin 18" tires?).

I'll probably get them installed on Thursday then report back what I think of them.

Oh and thanks Tire Rack for the great price on these things! Imagine that, four tires for the price of 1.5 PS2's!
I am at exactly the same decision point as you were. PS2's on the front are fine but the rears are just about done. I don't track the C4S and will be interested to hear your Sumo impressions. Can't beat the price
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Might do the sumis as well. Be a shame to toss My front contis.they are easily 70% good.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
samba09
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the Sumi IIIs about 2 mos ago. I think they are great - could never justify spending $100 more per tire.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Hankook V12's installed a year and 13K miles ago for $829, including 4-wheel alignment. Handling, ride quality and noise has been excellent for street, freeway and backcountry driving. The front tires still look like new and the rears are showing wear, with the insides a bit closer to the wearbars, but still with plenty of life remaining. I see no reason to replace them with another brand when the time comes.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 AM
frankfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tire pressure do you guys run on the street?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
tgt40
Pro

36-front 44 rear.........
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

35psi f , 42psi r ...
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe the 36 Front and 44 Rear PSI is for a car that is fully loaded with 2+ people and luggage.

The tire pressures for a "normal load" is something like 32 to 33 Front and 39 to 40 Rear. I don't have my 996 anymore so I don't have access to an owner's manual. These lower pressures will give you a better (less harsh) ride and not prematurely wear out the center of your rear tires.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
tgt40
Pro

Okay, I admit it...I'll come clean...I run about 32-40 most of the time....It's softer, quieter......
Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

The tires have been great so far, very quiet and smooth. Of course this may not so much be the tire as much as the fact that it is new rubber.

I do have one bad thing to report though regarding the installation. I took it to a Tire Kingdom and on my driver's side front rim I noticed a couple of black scuffs today when washing the car. I saw it on Thursday night but it was raining and my rims had a lot of brake dust on them. So I called the place today and was told to come in tomorrow to speak with a manager. I know for a fact the damage was not caused by me because I NEVER park the car close to any curbs or anything. I hope they do what needs to be done...

Next week I'm heading to an autocross, so I'll really be able to feel the difference between the Michelin's and these.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Last time I went to discount tires, and the guy was so quick using is impact tool to remove the lug nuts, it slips and left a nasty scratch on the rim. I figured next time I will take out the wheels myself and bring them in the trunk of my SUV.

I assume only Porsche owner have OCD when it comes to wheels scratches.

I am curious to see what the manager will say about that. I doubt they will pay for a brand new wheel. let's see.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philooo
Last time I went to discount tires, and the guy was so quick using is impact tool to remove the lug nuts, it slips and left a nasty scratch on the rim. I figured next time I will take out the wheels myself and bring them in the trunk of my SUV.

I assume only Porsche owner have OCD when it comes to wheels scratches.

I am curious to see what the manager will say about that. I doubt they will pay for a brand new wheel. let's see.
Originally Posted by fpena944
I do have one bad thing to report though regarding the installation. I took it to a Tire Kingdom and on my driver's side front rim I noticed a couple of black scuffs today when washing the car. I saw it on Thursday night but it was raining and my rims had a lot of brake dust on them. So I called the place today and was told to come in tomorrow to speak with a manager. I know for a fact the damage was not caused by me because I NEVER park the car close to any curbs or anything. I hope they do what needs to be done...
Ok I feel like a total a$$ this morning...

Went to Tire Kingdom and showed them the scuffs on my rims. The manager tells me, "We have no tools in our shop that can create those marks." I respond to him, "Well it didn't happen in my garage so how did they appear?"

We went back and forth and he calls out a technician for a second opinion. The tech looks at it, rubs it with a shop towel and tells us he'll be right back. He comes back with some carb cleaner, sprays the marks and they come right off!

That's right, wheel cleaner didn't do anything, neither did a brush or even a fingernail. So the marks disappeared and I went back in to apologize to the shop manager.

Now I know wheel cleaner is still a little too gentle for simple road tar. But I am absolutely relieved that I didn't have to deal with wheel repairs and all I lost were a couple of man points and took a little hit on the ego.

Still happy with my tires...Next week I'll give out the autocross report!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just ordered new Sumitomo HTR Z III tires