996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clear bra DIY install, any advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've thought about doing mine myself. I used to tint windows on the side in my younger days. Can't be any harder than that. At Least your on the outside and not angling for a point trying to get to a back corner. I would imagine clear bra are like most other things about cars, it's only intimidating because you've never done it before. Then when you finally do it, it wasn't that bad.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I imagine its just like that plastic film you can have added to a car or truck to add graphics like advertising. Its pretty much like window tinting guys do and pretty much like the white plastic that is on new cars during transport. Just like window tint being wet down a little and air pushed out but then its a heat gun to form fit and seal the plastic on like shrink wrap.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

You can do it.... Its not rocket science... You may have to do it twice, at least one part of it..

Read up everything you can. Talk to the people that made the thing... and have at it....
Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
You can do it.... Its not rocket science... You may have to do it twice, at least one part of it..

Read up everything you can. Talk to the people that made the thing... and have at it....
Nobody said it's rocket science. But like everything, there are EXPERTS that get it done right the first time and do this for a living. It's worth a few hundred bucks for me to pay somebody to do something right when it's a specialty type job (like this). Sure, there is lots of stuff I wrench on my own cars, but when it becomes a job that you need experience to do it properly, then lets the pros do it. It's one thing to spend 4 hours trying to learn how to do brakes your first time and then have it down to 1/2 hour when you gain experience doing it over and over again. A clear bra is something that will be done once. No experience gained there.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you take your first attempt to a pro, he'll show you where you went wrong. Everyone learns from their mistakes, hopefully.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

No one starts out as a pro. It all comes down to comfort level. I would try it. No costly special tools needed. That "pro" had to do his first one too at some point and it may even be this one. With enough research he can do it. If he messes it up, he can try again or get a pro to do it. But it is an item that can be at least be put back to where he started if he screws it up. It's not like he is going to try to wet sand it or repaint the car, items that could not be put back to ground zero if he fails. Sorry but I am a big diy'r. It's part of the hobby.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Experts learn by experience. Experience is gained through failures
Old 04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
No one starts out as a pro. It all comes down to comfort level. I would try it. No costly special tools needed. That "pro" had to do his first one too at some point and it may even be this one. With enough research he can do it. If he messes it up, he can try again or get a pro to do it. But it is an item that can be at least be put back to where he started if he screws it up. It's not like he is going to try to wet sand it or repaint the car, items that could not be put back to ground zero if he fails. Sorry but I am a big diy'r. It's part of the hobby.
So you plan to install more than one?

This is one of those things that makes ZERO sense to do yourself. You screw up it costs you more than a pro. A pro screws up and they pay.

And no, a pro doesn't learn on your car first. I'm as much a DIY guy as the next but some things are much more worth my time for somebody else to do.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
So you plan to install more than one?

This is one of those things that makes ZERO sense to do yourself. You screw up it costs you more than a pro. A pro screws up and they pay.

And no, a pro doesn't learn on your car first. I'm as much a DIY guy as the next but some things are much more worth my time for somebody else to do.
I do see your point. We all have an opinion. We all know what we would do.

I never rode a bull either. But I would climb right on just to see how I did if given the oppertunity.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'd rather run with them than saddle up
Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm with Dell on this one. I have better things to do with my time than screw with this. But if you have the time and patience go for it! I would rather be at the track.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd rather run with them than saddle up
lol

Quick Reply: Clear bra DIY install, any advice ?