996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ipod interface through CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
bigrob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod interface through CD changer?

This has been covered im sure, but I cant find anything in a search. Can an ipod be hooked up through the CD changer wires without a major device costing big bucks? Id be willing to lose my changer to do this.

Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

As your car is a 2004, you have the fiber optic system / MOST and to plug an ipod you will have to use a MOST system and those boxes are expensive. You could go with fm transmitter but of course the sounds will be cr**.

The two provider if I understand well are Dension Gateway 500 and the Mobridge.

They cost $500 a piece.

For that price you can put another stereo in there, but you will not be able to use the amplifier and will have to run wire from your radio to the amp location. I think regular wire are connecting the amp to each speakers.

The main benefit to get a new radio is real ipod compatibility instead of faking the ipod connection in place of the cd-changer

PS: what head unit do you have ?
PS2: do you have the cd-changer attached to the unit ? if not you will have to go to a porsche dealer to enable the cd-changer option, if not the dension/mobridge will not work.

Phil.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:46 AM
bigrob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
As your car is a 2004, you have the fiber optic system / MOST and to plug an ipod you will have to use a MOST system and those boxes are expensive. You could go with fm transmitter but of course the sounds will be cr**.

The two provider if I understand well are Dension Gateway 500 and the Mobridge.

They cost $500 a piece.

For that price you can put another stereo in there, but you will not be able to use the amplifier and will have to run wire from your radio to the amp location. I think regular wire are connecting the amp to each speakers.

The main benefit to get a new radio is real ipod compatibility instead of faking the ipod connection in place of the cd-changer

PS: what head unit do you have ?
PS2: do you have the cd-changer attached to the unit ? if not you will have to go to a porsche dealer to enable the cd-changer option, if not the dension/mobridge will not work.

Phil.
I have the transmitter now, and it actually is pretty cool, but i was curious!

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I got a transmitter and mine is total crap....gets no use at all

Quick Reply: ipod interface through CD changer?