Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are Porsche dealer fixing IMS when they update the RMS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Cicerosecundus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just say yes to replacing the IMS bearing assembly

2001 C4 with 95K miles. Just did the clutch (first) and at the same time put in an Inengineering IMS bearing assembly (was lucky enough to have the double race version which is less troublesome) and a 997 Rear Main Seal, although I was not having an RMS leak. Thought it prudent to do both as I intend to run up much higher mileage. Also replaced the 996 shift assembly and shift cables with a 997 shift assembly. A 997 shift assembly drops right into the 996 and is shorter throw, much more positive at each shift point - feels like each shift location has a gate and is not sloppy as the 996 shifter was. Was told that the double race IS bearing will warn you that it is moving toward failure by loudly rattling whereas the single race bearing fails without warning the driver. The double race became single race sometime in 2001 production; it is cheaper to produce. The Inengineering assembly is open to hot oil on the engine side and the bearings are not metal and have a natural lubrication and do not shatter as steel does. They are designed for lubrication with engine oil, unlike the factory bearing assembly. Worth every penny to me. Can be done for a reasonable cost when you do the clutch. I believe it to be prudent, given the horror stories.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

phil000- dealer installed new IMS seal w/o my asking as part of RMS repair- they did give the party line when i asked about IMS failures, etc-

in 7/07 bought Fidelity platinum ext warranty from dealer for my 02 996 C2 with 17k miles (private party purchase)- got 6 yr/75k mile warranty-0 dedutible if service done at dealer- good for 6 yrs from date of warranty purchase or 75k miles on car- it wasn't cheap - believe it was $3700 or so but i wanted no worries for 6 yrs. So far i've recovered about 40% in cost from 3 repairs they've covered oil press sending unit, RMS/IMS, and remote issue with one of keys.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 AM
jeffrbco
3rd Gear

I had my RMS/IMS from LNE single row porcelain bearing upgrade, and McKenna Porsche in Norwalk replaced last 07/07 for $1000 out the door with me supplying the aftermarket upgrade from LNE. It turned out that my RMS was leaking badly and IMS likewise but McKenna got rid of the IMS bearing when I was asking for it. I suspect they're sending it to Stuttgart for analysis or they just don't give a sh'''. Anyways, any member that might be interested for an upgrade, go order your stuff from LNE and contact McKenna Porsche right away coz I have a feeling they're gonna start charging more for the labor.
An indy @ Torrance, Ca is offering a package for $1900. This is for those of you living around LA or OC.
I'm glad I did my upgrade coz I've been dreading this engine failure since I started reading rennlist and flat6 discussions, my car would have been toasted if I delayed it. Total cost $519 for parts + $1000 for labor. Insist on paying only $1000 for the labor, Josh Kramer is about to move to Covina Acura soon accdg to him, so the offer might not last. Just trying to help out. Good luck guys.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 AM
sky213
8th Gear

some one can tell me what is IMS
thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sky213
thanks
NEVER HEARD OF it before either....
I think scare tactics abound to benefit indys and what not...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:22 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04 996 C2 - My dealer checked both my RMS and IMS and replaced the IMS seal - under CPO warranty at the time. They claim that they check the IMS for run out when replacing the seal. They also cut open my oil filter at every oil change and look for metal and plastic - so far always clean - 65k on the car and I drive it daily. Oil changes between 5500 and 7500 miles, basically 2x per year.

My dealer also installs the replacement IMS bearing and said that they have two sources; I can work with the mechanic to choose which source I want to use and either buy it from the dealer or provide it on my own. Labor is the same in either case, quoted me $900.00 for the labor. But they recommended I wait until I replace the clutch in the future and then my cost for the IMS bearing replacement will be basically the part cost. They said that they own the tools for both bearing suppliers and it is a very simple and quick job once the transmission is out.

They have had two catastrophic engine failures, one on a 1999 and one on a 2005. I was in the shop when the crate motor came in for the 2005.

It is obvious that they are quite tired of being grilled about IMS failures and the bearings they replace are "peace of mind" repairs. My CPO is expired so I will follow their suggestion and do the IMSR when the clutch needs to be replaced, guessing I will do that at 70k to 75k miles.

I don't stress too much about this anymore - it is a car and I have a new perspective. I used to worry every day if my motor was going to blow up - my wife has ovarian cancer and she worries every day if today will be the day that it takes her. I coach her every day to live today because today she is alive and worrying is robbing her of all enjoyment. Then I felt like a fool for worrying about a freakin' car.

So - keep it in perspective - drive your car, enjoy your car, - and do that today.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default IMS-dealer's attitude

FWIW, my local dealer has excellent technicians and an experienced service manager, and I rely on them for nearly all my service needs. Recently, I asked them if they had investigated the LN Engng. retrofit approach for replacing the IMS bearing without complete engine removal/splitting the case, etc., as recommended by Porsche AG. (I have a '99 996, 6-speed.) Response?...a long silence followed by "No, we follow Porsche's recommendations completely."

Then they politely changed the subject.

relinuca
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

thanks
[Sarcasm]
It stands for Immediate Motor Seizure, and describes what happens when a newbie buys a Porsche without doing at least a minimum of research.
[/Sarcasm]
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silotwo
04 996 C2
I don't stress too much about this anymore - it is a car and I have a new perspective. I used to worry every day if my motor was going to blow up - my wife has ovarian cancer and she worries every day if today will be the day that it takes her. I coach her every day to live today because today she is alive and worrying is robbing her of all enjoyment. Then I felt like a fool for worrying about a freakin' car.

So - keep it in perspective - drive your car, enjoy your car, - and do that today.
silotwo: This is the type of attitude that we should all have. Thank you for putting in perspective.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AckyE
silotwo: This is the type of attitude that we should all have. Thank you for putting in perspective.
While I agree with the sentiment, I am enjoying my Carrera more now that I had the IMS upgrade bearing installed. I think it is a wise precaution, like replacing a seemingly fine timing belt and water pump in a 944 every 40k miles. Simple piece of mind.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I work at a Porsche dealership and we replace IMS using the LN products with warranty. We even pay for parts up front and bill the customer for the parts on the service invoice in full view of Porsche.

So what you folks "heard" sounds like rumor and pure BS to me. And we also inform customers of this upgrade when it makes sense with other services being performed.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 PM
akeesari
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks
You bought a 911 without knowing what an IMS is? Stands for Intermediate shaft. Located right below the rms ( rear main seal)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akeesari
You bought a 911 without knowing what an IMS is? Stands for Intermediate shaft. Located right below the rms ( rear main seal)
The 996 owners I know learned about the IMS bearing issue after purchase.

Last edited by j beede; 07-15-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dealer did my RMS and IMS with LN bearing and put it right on the invoice before i got the car.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM
ursusmuggr
4th Gear

Hello bgrpph,

I am looking for support in my failed IMS bearing problem. Was its the decision of the Porsche dealer to replace the RMS and IMS bearing due to the oil drip? If so, I would like to see if I can use that to support my stance with my Porsche dealer.

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Are Porsche dealer fixing IMS when they update the RMS?