996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing Retrofit Labor time

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

You ever super glue your toung to your teeth?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 AM
iornman86
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoff
He did something wrong there. Sorry to say that. Mine came out way to easy and all I am is a guy that as a kid, got more enjoyment out of taking his toys apart to see how they worked rather than playing with them. Im not a master wrench. Never even ever been paid to work on a car. I am ASE certified in AC. Dont ask me how that happened, I have no idea.

Raby is right, YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION. I learned that lesson while taking apart my TV while it was on. That damn flyback transformer in an old CRT tv packs a frickin punch. I also learned it again when I touched the spark plug on my running minibike. COMMON SENSE. I guess that is even learned.

It is my opinion he didnt have the puller on the bearing correctly or he simply rushed and tried to pull it out at one shot. VS putting on some pressure and waiting for a while. Sad part about it is, You are going to have some train wrecks. It isnt anything 14 grand will not fix. Its only money and I get more on Firday.
This is Michael, the one in the post quoted above

to tell you the truth i do not know why it was so difficult to remove my bearing but i don't think pre-loading it then waiting would have done anything to aid its removal.

I am by no means an expert in mechanics but have had my fair share of experience. replacing cams, rebuilding an engine in other cars, etc.

after the center stud broke i was on the phone with LN Engineering and also talk to flat6 to get pointers on what could be going wrong. The fact that a professional mechanic is having the same issue gives me a little comfort that I did not just "botch it up"

If i were to take a wild guess i would say the first time i tried to pull the bearing the puller was not completely centered with the pulling cylinder and side loaded the bearing causing it to jam. This made it exponentially more difficult to remove. it was defiantly not a lack of force as there was no play in the bearing, so the center race was not loose. but in the end the center race broke into pieces leaving the outer race in place.

The puller has a very slight taper to it but the clearances between it and the bearing is still fairly close. and with the case protruding at least an inch past the shaft you can not see if it is centered. with the crude cardboard centering trick used the fist time i wonder if it would have pulled out fine on the first attempt.

in the end i would do it again, just for the piece of mind that my engine was not just a "ticking time bomb"

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing Retrofit Labor time