Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Sill Trim plates cracking - repair ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Sill Trim plates cracking - repair ideas?

Noticed that the carbon fibre sill trim plates have a couple of cracks in the plastic covering and possibly some lifting from the carbon fibre layer (the lighter colour area in the right circle. Any thoughts on how to repair the cracking, clear silicone maybe? I have no interest in shelling out $780 for new ones.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it just the clear coat that is cracking ?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

is it just the clear coat that is cracking ?
It appears to be thicker and more pliable than clear coat. Perhaps a 1/8" plastic-like coating.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's gonna be the resin that's cracking. If you got your hands on some resin you might be able to fill the cracks and try to buff them out but I'm not really sure what kind of results you would get.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

For a proper repair you will need to vee out the crack, the wider, the better. Use a die grinder with small ball or simular cutting tool. Use a lower speed so you cut rather than burn thru it. Be careful so you don't go into the roving, just the resin. You may have to use a couple of coats and over fill the voids. Next, sand, sand, sand, with finer and fined grits. After about 1000 or 1500 you will be ready to polish.

Sadly, the carbon fiber that Porsche used was very poor quality in my opinion. They never got it right. It faded badly and was very suseptable to cracking. You'd think for the ruthless prices they charged, it should be perfect and last a lifetime.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thanks

Where would one get the resin?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

http://westsystem.com/ss/

I can get it at the local hardware store... Marine stores are also a good bet.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thank Van. I think that I can get it a Canadian Tire...
Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

So let me guess... You went to the Porsche dealer to see if they would "good will" warranty it since this is something that SHOULDN'T break especially for the price that they charge and they laughed at you... I'm asking since I have the same issue...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

So let me guess... You went to the Porsche dealer to see if they would "good will" warranty it since this is something that SHOULDN'T break especially for the price that they charge and they laughed at you... I'm asking since I have the same issue...
Car is 11 years old, from the USA (I am in Canada) and has 88K miles. The thought never crossed my mind.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default price

Originally Posted by nick49
For a proper repair you will need to vee out the crack, the wider, the better. Use a die grinder with small ball or simular cutting tool. Use a lower speed so you cut rather than burn thru it. Be careful so you don't go into the roving, just the resin. You may have to use a couple of coats and over fill the voids. Next, sand, sand, sand, with finer and fined grits. After about 1000 or 1500 you will be ready to polish.

Sadly, the carbon fiber that Porsche used was very poor quality in my opinion. They never got it right. It faded badly and was very suseptable to cracking. You'd think for the ruthless prices they charged, it should be perfect and last a lifetime.
i never have figured out why everyone that sells carbon fiber thinks that it is made out of GOLD, i mean do alot of people have some kind of fascination with it, i have seen several cars one color, but with a carbon hood, why? on the interior i guess it look ok, but not what they usually are asking for it!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

i never have figured out why everyone that sells carbon fiber thinks that it is made out of GOLD, i mean do alot of people have some kind of fascination with it, i have seen several cars one color, but with a carbon hood, why? on the interior i guess it look ok, but not what they usually are asking for it!
CF is expensive comparatively speaking. Some people like the look and will pay for it...
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Car is 11 years old, from the USA (I am in Canada) and has 88K miles. The thought never crossed my mind.
IMO that woudl take a huge set of ***** to even ask being its a 1999 MO.... its not like it just drove off the floor yesterday or even last year.. I think you got good miles out of them at that age. Replace them with stainless or get a new set. At what point do you guys stop blaming porsche for EVERYTHING.

They are old.. Who knows what happened to them over the last 10 years.... Heat.. kids standing on them.... dry climate.. Resin shelf life at its end?

No I am not flaming the OP guy. He was just looking for a repair solution. Good luck and if you do repair them, please document and post it back to help the next guy.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

No I am not flaming the OP guy. He was just looking for a repair solution. Good luck and if you do repair them, please document and post it back to help the next guy.
Kyle,

I think that what I said... Never a thought of asking Porsche for anything.
scroll down the page...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...d-lifting.html

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Sill Trim plates cracking - repair ideas?