Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used the Griot's Random Orbital polisher

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010 | 04:01 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

I thought I would show you guys a great looking Boxster I did this weekend. I used the Griots polisher and a Gloss-It white cutting pad and his Extreme Cut compound to remove scratches. I then followed up about 3 times through with a Gloss-It green mild cut pad and Gloss-It Evolution Polish. The final coat was Gloss-It Gloss finish and a red foam pad by hand.

Old 04-28-2010 | 04:05 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Looks brand new...any before pics to compare?
Old 04-28-2010 | 07:27 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Barn996
Looks brand new...any before pics to compare?
Nope, sorry. Camera had a dead battery and my timing didn't allow me to wait for it charge. The car has 20k on it and the paint was in pretty good shape. Was still just this side of being able to skip the cutting stage.

I've done FAR worse.
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:53 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by ivangene
...The Zaino is SOOOOOOO easy to take off, but I have more trouble with it because I dont like to wait for it to fully dry. Application of an extreamly light film is tough for me too and I tend to get more on my applicator than the car....
Guys (and gals), just to add a data point, I masked off the middle of the hood of our Laser Red Audi A4 and Black Sapphire BMW X5. On the passenger side, I did a Klasse Sealant. On the driver side, I did the Zaino Z-5 Pro Show Car Polish. I probably did this wax job sometime in the fall in preparation for the winter. Each time it rains, I can VIVIDLY SEE the middle line to where the Zaino and Klasse meet... Although I thought the Zaino was pretty pricey after shipping (around $25 for 8 oz!!!), I couldn't believe the difference. Although I thought the Klasse lasted pretty long, the Zaino lasted even longer. It still beads (although it doesn't bead like a new application would) while the Klasse side seems to have worn off. Also, I like that the Zaino makes the paint look a little darker.

p.s. - I did this with my lawnmower too and had the same exact result!
Old 04-29-2010 | 05:04 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

You should be fine. Just take your time until you get comfortable with the polisher. It won't take long. Claying...LUBRICATION...LUBRICATION...use what they give you(and plenty of it), soapy water or Meguiars or whatever you prefer. If you make a mess and need to clean up when your done, you did it right. It'll take you all...day...long to do everything, but is well worth it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the Griot's Random Orbital polisher