996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Saw noise on start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
emdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

darn, you are probably right. The car only does it on a cold start. I have a warranty on it, so probably don't want to go through the hassle of having my check engine light turn on. Maybe I'll just go to porsche and tell them that there is a saw under my hood.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by emdog
darn, you are probably right. The car only does it on a cold start. I have a warranty on it, so probably don't want to go through the hassle of having my check engine light turn on. Maybe I'll just go to porsche and tell them that there is a saw under my hood.
Oh, yeah. If you have warranty on the car just take it to dealer and explain when symptom appears. The key to repairing these things is to be able to reproduce the symptoms reliably.

Be sure to post a follow up. Ask how the cause of the noise was diagnosed?

(Might get a shrug and something non-committal: An auto mechanic friend of mine years ago told me that after a while when he or his co-workers saw a particular model of car come in they almost always knew what was wrong. Experience from working on the same brand of cars over the years pays off.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by emdog
well son, y'all gotta realize that 'non of us poor folk eer got warentees. Yessire go right on to Porch now!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

So whatever happened with this? I've got a similar, but quieter, noise. It does seem to be the air pump as the noise changes/goes away with the pump unplugged. Do I just replace the pump, or could it be a hose/vacuum fitting somewhere in the system causing this?

Shawn
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
EastBay
Instructor

Sorry, no pics but
My air pump was doing the same thing, nasty saw like squeal when cold. I took it apart and found it was
chock-a-block full of brake dust. I blew it all out with compressed air, cleaned it all up and oiled the bearings upon reassembly. It has been blessedly quiet on cold starts for over one year now.

Super easy fix. Maybe 60 minutes fooling around.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Excellent, just the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I'll dig into it this weekend.

S.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't cut your fingers on the little table saws in that pump
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Consider me duly warned
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

40A fuse (big sq one) for air pump is located behind rear seats on a relay board. You'll pop a CEL as Mac says if you start it up and run it with the fuse out so you'll have to find someone with Durametric software to clear it for you if you can't do this yourself.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Geowar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I now have the "band saw" sound on cold start. Can someone post the location of the air pump which sounds like the culprit.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Im not sure but I think it is sitting right there on top mounted to the body.. In front of the coolant res.. Well behind it.. But in front of it from where you are standing.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Im not sure but I think it is sitting right there on top mounted to the body.. In front of the coolant res.. Well behind it.. But in front of it from where you are standing.
Exactly.

It's painted black and you can clearly see the electric motor in the center of the unit.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by EastBay
Sorry, no pics but
My air pump was doing the same thing, nasty saw like squeal when cold. I took it apart and found it was
chock-a-block full of brake dust. I blew it all out with compressed air, cleaned it all up and oiled the bearings upon reassembly. It has been blessedly quiet on cold starts for over one year now.

Super easy fix. Maybe 60 minutes fooling around.
Thanks for the info!!!

My car occasionally makes this sound upon start-up, however it doesn't do it everytime. I knew the sound was coming from the air pump but I just assumed the bearings were worn and I was eventually going to replace the unit. I'll give your cleaning trick a try.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM
fjr_wertheimber

Okay, this thread makes a LOT more sense upon reading it... When I saw the subject my first thought was "Holy crap, how loud does a sound have to be before you can see it?!?"
Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the love of god that was a nasty noise. I would call it a band saw.

Quick Reply: Saw noise on start up