fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Thread necromancer strikes again!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes. I had similar issues. My issues eventually turned into a drivability issue with a no start condition after words. I also had issue where it would also "over flow" the tank and spit gas out all over me at the same time. After blaming the gas pump and going to another station I found my car was the problem. But I still didn’t fix it. I drove it till the car wouldn’t run anymore. I have no idea how with the gas cap off, this was the issue, But it was. I did the fix 6K miles ago and the car was perfect. I was also getting a CEL at idle sometimes. I forget what the code was. However my issue was a valve located in the engine bay just left of the TB. This valve controls the amount of vacuum that is applied to the gas tank. The valve was sticking open. Thus putting a lot of vacc on the tank and starving the engine of fuel. What this had to do with my filler issues, I have no idea. But I replaced that valve and it all went away and the car as been fine
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have simply given up on this issue. i thought i had figured out the golden key and was exciting to start my 2nd thread...except the 3rd time i tried the following, it didn't work. By accident, the pump went off with putting in only 1 gallon. I turned it back on and it took 14.5 gallons for a total of 15.5!!! My car had never taken that much b4. next time i filled up i did the samething; put it 1 gallon, turned the pump off, then restarted and it took another 14 before stopping. Rocket scientist! Then i tried it for the 3rd time, same station, same upside down handle, and wa lah...nothing....12.7 gallons. Even if i wait, when i try to fill up past the 12 to 13 gallons, gas overflows. i read the whole article on the zip tie thingy around the tube. i'll look at my e6 fuse 2day. With all the experts & engineers on board here, and i say that without being sarcastic, why can't someone figure this one out!

thanks as always!

m
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem. I tried the upside down fuel nozzle and it worked perfectly.

For anyone reading this post, try that first - its simple and, from the reading I have done, pretty effective.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ...forget about that last sip of gas

After talking with a couple of 996 owners and noting numerous rennlist comments on the subject of trying to fill my 996's tank completely, I have concluded that 996s have a tank venting "issue". The effect is once attaining about a 3/4's fill, the last 1/4 fill can be a lesson in frustration sometimes.

I have finally written this "issue" off as part of the 996's charm.

relinuca

Quick Reply: Gas pump always stops around 11 or 12 gallons