Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ABS PSM LIGHT SOLVED - Always start with the simple stuff first...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ABS PSM LIGHT SOLVED - Always start with the simple stuff first...

Ok so over the weekend I changed out my rear bulbs to the Philips Vision Plus bulbs that claim to light 30% faster than normal incandescent bulbs. The added benefit is that at night the lights look much brighter and crisper.

But I noticed the right side rear brake light would not come on so yesterday evening I proceeded to try to change the bulb thinking it was a defective bulb with an old bulb. As I was alone I put a brick on the brake pedal (yes stupid me) so that I wouldn't have to go back and forth.

I switched bulbs and of course still no go - but all of a sudden I have NO brake lights whatsoever.

So I start the car and I get a ABS PSM error message and it says to please go to the service center immediately and I freak out!!!

I searched the forum and like 60% of the posts say to change the MAF???
Then another 40% say change the battery or change the brake light switch.

My battery is fine, I take out the durametric - no MAF codes - but I do get a "Pressure Sensor Switch" error - and I think it's the brake light switch. I get under the pedals and after contorting myself like a circus performer I manage to remove the brake light switch. I get contact cleaner and lubricant and try to massage it back to life. I replace it, and VOILA!!! NOTHING!!!! Still get the same error. So I'm sitting there thinking either I have a bad switch or the ABS PSM computer is fried :-(

As I was about to pack it up for the night and planning on an early morning visit to the dealer to get a new brake light switch, I glanced at the fuse box and I found the fuse for the brake lights/cruise control - and it's burned out.

I replace the fuse, and all the errors disappear and 2 of my 3 brake lights work.

I remove the rear light again and look at the socket and one terminal is BROKEN! I realize when I was removing my old bulb it must have broken off one of the terminals in the socket and so I bent the end all the way up to contact the bulb and it's all good.

I am so relieved.

So lesson I learned is start with the basics - I can't believe I forgot the basics of always checking the fuse first.

Last edited by roadsession; 03-02-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why is it that the simple jobs always seen to bite you in the end? Glad you resolved your problem without any help.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Through life hind sight many times can remind us of the saying if it aint broke don't fix it. A multi-meter is a good habit so that you figure out things quicker.

Quick Reply: ABS PSM LIGHT SOLVED - Always start with the simple stuff first...