996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What the hell is this noise !

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having lived up North where salt is used, I appreciate trying to protect a car during the Winter, but I wonder if the damage done by salt is frankly less then the 'wear' of having a car sit around for months, where seals dry, lubrication settles, etc, not to mention the inability of enjoying it even as the depreciation progresses.

It's easy to make this statement living in Tucson, but if I lived up North I'd put Winter tires and drive it around, less often then Summer, but still keep it moving a few times a month.

I hope the sound turns out to be related to the lifters, and that it clears up so you can enjoy your car...
Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmirand
Having lived up North where salt is used, I appreciate trying to protect a car during the Winter, but I wonder if the damage done by salt is frankly less then the 'wear' of having a car sit around for months, where seals dry, lubrication settles, etc, not to mention the inability of enjoying it even as the depreciation progresses.

It's easy to make this statement living in Tucson, but if I lived up North I'd put Winter tires and drive it around, less often then Summer, but still keep it moving a few times a month.

I hope the sound turns out to be related to the lifters, and that it clears up so you can enjoy your car...
I agree. I drive mine everytime the roads are dry. I dont think "storage" is good for the car. I have never seen a car come out of a 5 year "storage" and be rippin and ready to go. However i have seen many cars driven for 5 years that DO NOT need the work of a 5YO storage car needs. Rubber, tires, rust.....
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
errico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the noise is a rythum noise with a leak

Thank you for all your help, my last question would be how long before these lifters lift ? i ran the car for 5 mins before i freaked . Ill try again today, ill look at the leak tonight as well and give you news.

i put a hold on the X74 Suspension ! it was on order....what a day...
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by errico
Yes the noise is a rythum noise with a leak

Thank you for all your help, my last question would be how long before these lifters lift ? i ran the car for 5 mins before i freaked . Ill try again today, ill look at the leak tonight as well and give you news.

i put a hold on the X74 Suspension ! it was on order....what a day...
Why would you send it back to Dallas? What kind of warranty do you have? If a US CPO, Porsche will cover it at a Cdn dealer. Don't bother asking me how I know.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF the engine is covered by CPO then your best answer instead of shipping it out is just change the oil and run it up to get the fresh stuff circulated. If it is the IMS failed you get a free engine anyway if you have the CPO insurance that covers it.

A few guys have posted links to audio files so that others online here can figure out what their cars problem is. I think that's a way simpler solution. You might have a digital camera you could take video with so that you could post a file on youtube possibly saving your self a long wait for the car to return.

I can even guess it's a rock, loose part or cats collar stuck in the pulleys
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 PM
errico
Instructor

Well guys finally my car was brought in and it was the lifters and i have A RMS and my spark plug tubes leak. how can i have all this with one winter storage? when i stored it all was fine. Warranty will cover most of it.

now that iam doing this iam changing the clutch and other seals as well, do you recommend doing other maintenance, if so, what?

thanks all of you for your help, this is a relief but i wonder why everything is happening all at once, is there something going on???is this a sign?

thanks again.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I dont store my cars. WHen you take them out of storage, they let you know how pissed they are that you left them sit. That seems to be what has happened to you.

Next year, dont "store" the car. I know it sounds really cool when you are talking to your buddies and co-workers. It really makes it sound like your car is this mystical item that cant see winter months. But really, this is what happens... Drive the car when you can. Even if snow is on the ground, there is usually a time when the roads are 95% dry and bare. Take it out once in a while and drive it..... It is a LOT better for it than "storing" it.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree with Kyle more! Machines are made to be exercised, not stored. I make it a point to drive it least every few weeks in the winter. You can usually find a few days here and there for a short drive to bring it up to full temperature and get everything well lubricated. I try to run it long enough to get the moisture out of the engine.
We find the same thing happens to our aircraft in the military when they sit for extended periods of time. You can normally expect a rash of unrelated issues when the plane or helicopter is brought out from long term repairs or storage.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 PM
errico
Instructor

shark. i agree . trust me i will drive this car often . they are just machines.

thank you for all your time. Shark especially you, for all your time and patience
Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
67FJ45
Pro

Originally Posted by Goldenwarrior1
I couldn't agree with Kyle more! Machines are made to be exercised, not stored. I make it a point to drive it least every few weeks in the winter. You can usually find a few days here and there for a short drive to bring it up to full temperature and get everything well lubricated. I try to run it long enough to get the moisture out of the engine.
We find the same thing happens to our aircraft in the military when they sit for extended periods of time. You can normally expect a rash of unrelated issues when the plane or helicopter is brought out from long term repairs or storage.
+1 I travel a lot, and to keep my cars exercised, I even let my wife drive them when I'm out of town.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

AOS while the trans is out. What year?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM
errico
Instructor

2001 C2 26 K MILES

what is AOS?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
I dont store my cars. WHen you take them out of storage, they let you know how pissed they are that you left them sit. That seems to be what has happened to you.

Next year, dont "store" the car. I know it sounds really cool when you are talking to your buddies and co-workers. It really makes it sound like your car is this mystical item that cant see winter months. But really, this is what happens... Drive the car when you can. Even if snow is on the ground, there is usually a time when the roads are 95% dry and bare. Take it out once in a while and drive it..... It is a LOT better for it than "storing" it.
Great advice.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

AOS = air/oil seperator
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is happy to throw the servicing over on the manufacturer insurance. I guess if they are replacing the RMS then at least the trans will get dropped. Not to be too sarcastic but for the diagnoses lifter problem with you telling them the car was stored their game plan for fixing all you see is what you hear is to take the car out and run it up with fresh oil then take it out on the hwy to make sure things get freed up. My wildest idea is if they are being so cooperative, how about just swap in a new rebuilt engine from germany. But eh thats a wild idea.

Quick Reply: What the hell is this noise !