Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

should we go for six pages...it'll help raise rennlist ad rates
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
But it was gratifying to see in this video that if I ever did 'play' I could spank them if I chose to do so.
I can't say that I've experienced any of that w/ BMW owners here, but, wow, I'd hate to see the look on your face when a modded 335i runs, not walk, away from you.

There's no replacement for displacement... except boooooost! $2200 gets you Dinan Stage 2 software and you've got 384hp/421tq and your BMW will still be under the 4yr/50k warranty. And w/o any other visual or audible cues, you would never know a bone stock 335i from a 335i w/ ECU software/increased boost. If I had the funds, I would love to add one of these as a stealthy Qship DD.

If you want to less conservative (i.e. more power) and cheaper routes, there are ECU software options out there that will produce more power for less than Dinan's software.

Anyway, sorry for the sharp digression that's going to happen, but some people are delusional when they want to race you, but some are not, especially the ones that have forced induction.

One of the local guys here has a s/c C6 Vette. When the exhaust flap is open, it sounds like a freaking NASCAR w/ a belt slipping (it's actually the s/c whine). When the exhaust flap closed, it sounds like a bone stock Corvette w/ a belt slipping. It puts down over 700hp to the wheels and it's a REAL sleeper. Any unsuspecting Turbo owner will immediately have a frown when they see a lowly Vette rape them like Donkey Kong.

Another local guy here has a twin turbo E46 M3 w/ meth injection. If you didn't see the FMIC, then you would have thought it was just another E46 M3 w/ basic bolt-ons (i.e. exhaust). I believe he is putting down well over 600hp to the wheels. Granted, he spent a great deal of money for that power (about as much as used high-mileage 996 Turbo), but you know what, he preys on your type to see the look on your face.

How about a highway pull between that turbo M3 and a modified Ford GT[40]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8um9m...eature=related

It doesn't beat the modified GT, but it keeps up pretty well for a BMW, huh...?

Now how about a run w/ something more it's size, like a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC3Ot_oxbe0

Anyway, simply put, don't be that type -- don't street race. Just smile, wave, ignore, and drive on.

///Michael
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I've seen a Volkswagen GTI smoke a Ferrari (on a track)...doesn't mean I want one.

Sorry, no BMW sympathy here. I think some of them are nice looking sedans, but I don't like the way they drive. The interiors don't seem to wear well either.

It's not about money or prestige b/c I'm not into Ferrari or Lambo either. Too high maint. Too fragile.

Porsche is the perfect balance...there is no substitute...for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
. I live in the city of Boston and BMW 335i and ci's are more common here than Chevy's in Detroit. The thing I have noticed is that every other 335ci driver literally harasses me on the road. They go WOT at stop lights, cut me off on roads, tail gate me on the highway - I mean it is FRIGGIN CRAZY. I do not even bother playing with them.
and you find this unusual?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey... I've raced a 335ci with VISHNU tuning @ mosport... up the back strait @ Mosport we are equal... that's right... equal... I have a 99 C2 with exhaust and GIAC flash... and that's it.... you know what? the incline really punishes the 335ci's portliness... and after a few laps the BWM engine is so hot its not able to make hp in its efficiency range....

335ci are great for the street with the chip... but on the track... game over.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

BMW/Porsche? This is apples and oranges folks. Dynamically different as the north and south poles.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 AM
911FM
Racer

Originally Posted by Schwabische Auto
Are you serious?? This is the silliest post I have read on RL. I must be schizophrenic, since opposite types of people buy either BMW or Porsches....... I would venture to say the reason, so many Rennlister's are defending BMWs is because they have a BMW in their garage in addition to a Porsche and realizie, it is a fine marque also.
+1. Have both on the driveway. Love my BMW wagon. A great commute/grocery car. Fair but a bit limited on the track.

FM
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are some of you making comparisons to the 335i. Its a great car, but some of you, IMHO, are coming off like playground bullies. Pick on someone your own size! The M3 is a better comparison.

Or maybe the M3 vs the GT3 might be a better comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjwJl...eature=related

No, looks like something in between. Well maybe that's not a fair comparison and perhaps the M3 vs the 996 or 997 Carrera isn't either. Nor is the 335i vs the 996, I think its been said, some of you are comparing apples and oranges.

Don't get me wrong I love Porsches, but there are other very capable cars out there also.

Last edited by Schwabische Auto; 03-02-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
nghiaho58
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OK I see a few posts stating it was a C4S...it's not an S but a stock C4.

I'm surprised to find so many RL's defending the BMW.
As far as I'm concerned the 2 brands attract a total opposite type of person, BMW drivers are yuppies with Porsche envy

A BMW is the Volks Wagon version of a Porsche (and don't even get me started on Audi...)

Having lived in Holland for 21 years I can give you the European perspective... the only reason you buy a BMW is because you can't afford to buy a Porsche
And if it's the size, comfort, power etc. package you're after then you'd get a Mercedes, although now with the Panamera that's also covered by Porsche.

I see kids on the track with 500hp Honda's who beat anything on the clock but they would trade it for a slower Porsche in a heart beat!
In the end Porsche falls in the category of dream machines with the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini etc, just more practical and without the debilitating maintenance cost

Porsche...there is no substitute!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, are coming off like playground bullies. Pick on someone your own size!

Hypothetically speaking, what if... you can't find somebody your size
I think It's almost the opposite, ya know more like a yuppie (BMW) walking into a Bullpen filled with snorting bulls (proud P. owners, always ready to go) and start slapping some bulls while waving a red flag... RUN YUPPIE RUNNNN

Originally Posted by 911FM
+1.Love my BMW wagon. A great commute/grocery car. Fair but a bit limited on the track.

FM
Ooooh come on!!! really!? now we're throwing the station wagon in the mix!!! on the track!!??
I guess we're going from the silly (apples and oranges) to the ridicules (potato's and....) I can't even think of a snappy comparison to appropriately reflect the multitude of levels this is wrong on, eeehr uuuuhm pffeeew... somebody help me before I hurt myself
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why are some of you making comparisons to the 335i. Its a great car, but some of you, IMHO, are coming off like playground bullies. Pick on someone your own size! The M3 is a better comparison.

Don't get me wrong I love Porsches, but there are other very capable cars out there also.
cause that what this thread is about... !!

go drive a new M3... tell me how you like the uncommunicative steering... the portly weight around the corners and the ****ty brakes that fade (just like in that video)... also the under steer in the M3 sucks as well... how many corners do you think you can take like the guy in the vid while smoking the tires... your tires will last for.. umm ONE whole day on the track...

for feel and composure there is nothing like a 911.. past or present... the GTR? exception to the rule I guess...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't really know what you did to **** him off (look at him the wrong way?) but I hate arrogant, condescending, "I'm better than you" people!

I got your back Zookie.

Sid.
I just put the guy in his place...

Thanks but i got this covered, i come across people like him all the time... I feel sorry for them...

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I'll say this Zookie:
1.Tony didn't ask me to do ****.
2.He was just making the point that it's dumb (and dangerous) to "race" each other like this.
3.Your original response to his post (which BTW, was not directed at you) was a bit exagerated and way too defensive.
4.As far as going fast in a straight line, well any monkey can do that.
5.1/4 mile at competitive (read: pro) level does take considerable skill, I'll admit that much.
6.DE/Autocross/Roadracing takes significantly more skill.

Just chill, bro.
Or go ahead and "race" a BMW, if it makes you feel better.
1. Yea Sure buddy...
2. How so? its a Air Strip and how is it any diffrent than a Stright at a Track?
3. I just put the guy talking **** in his place... How is that defensive?
4. I wanna see this, put a monkey in one and show me
5. No ones a Pro in this thread, not me, not you and not bubba... so your comment is pointless
6. Compare to what?

Im chilled like a Mocafrap, like i said this is all entertainment to me...

Peace Out

Last edited by Zookie; 03-02-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Hypothetically speaking, what if... you can't find somebody your size
I think It's almost the opposite, ya know more like a yuppie (BMW) walking into a Bullpen filled with snorting bulls (proud P. owners, always ready to go) and start slapping some bulls while waving a red flag... RUN YUPPIE RUNNNN

Ooooh come on!!! really!? now we're throwing the station wagon in the mix!!! on the track!!??
I guess we're going from the silly (apples and oranges) to the ridicules (potato's and....) I can't even think of a snappy comparison to appropriately reflect the multitude of levels this is wrong on, eeehr uuuuhm pffeeew... somebody help me before I hurt myself
You really are way too caught up in this whole yuppie/bmw thing rather then talking about the capabilities of the cars. Do you have some sort of yuppie complex thing? I would venture to say that the demographics of Porsche owners are not a lot different then BMWs. In fact since Porsches cost a bit more, maybe more yuppie-ish. After all, we can't all be rock stars or star athletes.

Last edited by Schwabische Auto; 03-02-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 AM
GNR996
Race Car

wow, how did I miss this thread, three days six pages, wow.

Porsche for me, every second car here seems to be a beemer of some sort, mostly driven by elderly Oriental folks...
Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Originally Posted by c70Pete
cause that what this thread is about... !!

go drive a new M3... tell me how you like the uncommunicative steering... the portly weight around the corners and the ****ty brakes that fade (just like in that video)... also the under steer in the M3 sucks as well... how many corners do you think you can take like the guy in the vid while smoking the tires... your tires will last for.. umm ONE whole day on the track...

for feel and composure there is nothing like a 911.. past or present... the GTR? exception to the rule I guess...
I have almost everyday, except when I drive my 996. The M3 is more composed and obviously better balanced. As far as road feel and driver feedback, the 996 is better. Acceleration, power, comfort, fit and finish, the M3 is significantly better. As far as driving pleasure, they are equal, and yet different. Thats why I am a fan of both.

Quick Reply: 996 C4 spanking a 335CI twin turbo