Sponsored by:

Help: Cannot open my 996 front hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darren
Do you mean to test the latch with the hood open? You should be able to push a screw driver down sideways into it -- look at how the hood hits it.

I'm trying to remember what the latch looked like when I removed it -- I think there is an actuator in the trunk compartment and then a cable that runs up to the latch assembly. I'd check whether there is any movement when you push the switch -- see if the actuator is working properly.
I did not push a screw driver down sideways into it over the weekend, just simply check and make sure there is a movement when press the release switch inside the car. But once the hood is closed it cannot be open although I keep hearing the clicking sound when press the release switch.

I was wondering if it could be a loose release cable? However, I will try the screw driver thing see how it works. I am also wondering would it solve the problem if i just replace a new hood latch?

Thank you for the instruction and diagram.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems what you actually did was reset the safety latch. The screwdriver trick is what activates the actual hood latch locking mech. Just like when you press down harder and hear the latch engage.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, so I did the adjustment and now my front hood closes without GI Joe Kung Fu power. My new problem is that it appears the seam is a little high on the front hood, almost that it hasn't closed all the way when it has engaged.

It's as if I have gone from 1/16 too low to 1/16 too high, and it still just barely engages with slight force. Now I need to make an adjustment to 1/64. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hope there is nice weather tomorrow. The wind gusts today kept knocking the hood down on my head and I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
OK, so I did the adjustment and now my front hood closes without GI Joe Kung Fu power. My new problem is that it appears the seam is a little high on the front hood, almost that it hasn't closed all the way when it has engaged.

It's as if I have gone from 1/16 too low to 1/16 too high, and it still just barely engages with slight force. Now I need to make an adjustment to 1/64. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I hope there is nice weather tomorrow. The wind gusts today kept knocking the hood down on my head and I couldn't take it anymore.
Riddle me this: if you had it 1/16 too low, and now it is 1/16 too high, how much do you have to adjust it?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot

Huh????

Based upon the earlier part of your post, you moved it 1/8" (2/16"). So lower it 1/16"
Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Huh????

Based upon the earlier part of your post, you moved it 1/8" (2/16"). So lower it 1/16"

My math has been corrected. As I said though, it just latches with a slight bit of effort. That's why I guessed a 1/64 adjustment. A beautiful day today, and I'm off work in about an hour.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Okay, so I got up this morning to try the screw driver trick and notice something as below attached photos.

Photo 1. When I push the latch down, seem like it is closed.

Photo 2. When let go the screw driver or press the release switch, it seems like the latch did not come all the way?

Photo 3. How the latch look after push a bit manually

Is this something normal or means the cable is loose?

Last edited by Bozbomber; 01-22-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pac996
It seems what you actually did was reset the safety latch. The screwdriver trick is what activates the actual hood latch locking mech. Just like when you press down harder and hear the latch engage.
I think I misunderstood the method of the screwdriver trick previously and had a chance to retry it again earlier this evening.

I press it down to have the latch engage and notice that the cable had a movement but didn't seem to pull far enough to be able for release. Is there any way I can adjust the release cable?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Help: Cannot open my 996 front hood