Sponsored by:

18 or 19 Inch Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Very interesting comments on this video. Note that what the driver says does not match the results. I know that the test is done on Japanese cars by Japanese drivers, but, I would say valid nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Glkf4jwkM

Not really valid when you consider they used a staggered setup on the 19" test vs. a poor setup on 18's.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Airrik
Racer

Good video FLY very informative.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Wheels
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone leaning towards the 19 inch route, we have the recommended tire sizes (235/35/19 fr and 315/25/19 rear) in stock again from a few different manufacturers.

Shoot John an email if you're interested at john@wheelenhancement.com.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I thought the video was interesting. In particular, all the changes to the body structure and suspension that were necessary to put 19" wheels on a production car. It really shows how much more stress goes through the suspension with the larger wheels and tires. There's more to it than "will it fit without rubing" or "it's okay if the rolling diameter is close to the stock setup".

Personally, I plan to stick with 18" wheels when I upgrade mine.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Hard Motorsport
Former Vendor

I always preferred 19's
Name:  IMG_3154.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  94.1 KB
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Barn996
I have stock 17" wheels. That said, I think 18" would be my choice rather than 19"s.
I have the Turbo 18" wheels and to be honest, having to run with 44psi makes the ride very harsh as far as I'm concerned. Can't imagine what running with 19" whels would be like with the even narrower side wall section.

I'm even considering going to the 17" wheels, which run at 36psi I believe.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
In speaking with some of my friends that track cars extensively, they have stated that the most noticeable difference on the track is a slight loss of power on exiting turns.
Not sure I undertsand that......given that an ojective when fitting larger wheels is to keep the overall diameter of the tire the same as stock (for speedo and on-board electronics etc, there's no change in effective gearing so why the perceived change in exit power??
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 AM
moresyporsche
Intermediate

If anyone is out there please help answer I have a set of wheels 18" from a cayenne twin turbo will those. Wheels fit on a 1999 carrera 996 ? What has to happen if they will and the width of the tire is it a concern. I have an all season 20" summer wheels on the 04 955tt so I don't take off and put the 18" with snow tires any longer so I have 4 really nice wheels with the badging on it plus they look cool and I believe there's no road rash /rage on them please some read this last post was 5 years ago
"
Old 08-10-2017, 01:36 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by moresyporsche
If anyone is out there please help answer I have a set of wheels 18" from a cayenne twin turbo will those. Wheels fit on a 1999 carrera 996 ? What has to happen if they will and the width of the tire is it a concern. I have an all season 20" summer wheels on the 04 955tt so I don't take off and put the 18" with snow tires any longer so I have 4 really nice wheels with the badging on it plus they look cool and I believe there's no road rash /rage on them please some read this last post was 5 years ago
"
Post pictures of the wheel including a closeup of the value stem. Porsche prints the wheel offset at that location. That will determine if there's a chance to work with the 996 without scrubbing and other issues. Also, if these are OEM Porsche wheels, they'll have a part number on the inside.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 AM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

I have 19" TechArt wheels on mine. The rear I think works out well and looks fantastic. On hard turns the fronts actually rub. Not terribly but I'd probably do a slick set of 18's.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:23 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

great read. posting to subscribe as i start my trek towards more-than-likely going with 19s.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:30 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

So for my 996, I am kind of a purist and like the look of the 18s and will likely stick them for my car. They just seem to look right. I have put on wheels from my 997 just to try them but they seem to be too big. I think the only way if would work is if I used a lower aspect ratio tire (for the rears going from 30 to 25. Then it could work. Also, unless you lower or have some aero modifications the 19s make the car look like a jelly bean on wheels. My point is, if you go to 19s, you need to change a few other things to make it seem integrated. Again this is just my opinion and I always urge folks to do what makes them happy.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:14 PM
texcwa
Racer

I chose to go with 19's only because I found a great set of Kinesis F110's for sale that I really liked. The wheel and tire sizes are Front 8.5 x 19 w ET50 235/35/19, Rear 11 x 19 w ET64 295/30/19. Tires are Bridgstone S-04 and I do not feel any ride difference other than less roll. The wheels are approx 4 lbs less weight each (and much stronger) with Titanium Lugs (saving another .4 lbs per wheel). I do not track so cannot offer any opinions on that. Not an expert in any way but my new tire set-up is much lighter so do not understand the additional stress on suspension. I do plan on installing the ROW M030 in the near future.

Last edited by texcwa; 12-25-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-26-2017, 11:00 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by lowpue
So for my 996, I am kind of a purist and like the look of the 18s and will likely stick them for my car. They just seem to look right. I have put on wheels from my 997 just to try them but they seem to be too big. I think the only way if would work is if I used a lower aspect ratio tire (for the rears going from 30 to 25. Then it could work. Also, unless you lower or have some aero modifications the 19s make the car look like a jelly bean on wheels. My point is, if you go to 19s, you need to change a few other things to make it seem integrated. Again this is just my opinion and I always urge folks to do what makes them happy.
I hear what you're saying and i agree with you. Last month I put 37 inch tires on my truck. Of course, I couldn't just put tires on my stock wheels. I had to get the right wheels too. Then, I had to lift it to clear the 37's,so, I had to get suspension work done. Of course, I had to get all the upgrades and accessories for the lift. Then, the stock fender flares arent wide enough to protect the paint with the new wheels (due to the negative offset) so i had to order new fender flares. Of course, the fender flares had to "match" the wheels I got. It has to look right. Of course, now that the truck is lifted and on 37's, I couldn't have just regular nerf bars along the side of the truck, it takes away from the lift. So, of course, I had to get the power steps. I mean, it has to all look right when it's all together right? I know exactly what you're saying and I'm kinda OCD like that too. :-)

I have the aero side skirts. If I went with 19's, I'd have to at least drop it a little.

I really like this kind of look:

I love the way this looks. I may need a front bumper. D'oh. :-)

I need to lower mine a little so the 19's have that aggressive look. I don't drive very aggressively other than some spirited highway left lane traveling every now and then, but, even then it's in short bursts.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:27 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by yamasaki
I hear what you're saying and i agree with you. Last month I put 37 inch tires on my truck. Of course, I couldn't just put tires on my stock wheels. I had to get the right wheels too. Then, I had to lift it to clear the 37's,so, I had to get suspension work done. Of course, I had to get all the upgrades and accessories for the lift. Then, the stock fender flares arent wide enough to protect the paint with the new wheels (due to the negative offset) so i had to order new fender flares. Of course, the fender flares had to "match" the wheels I got. It has to look right. Of course, now that the truck is lifted and on 37's, I couldn't have just regular nerf bars along the side of the truck, it takes away from the lift. So, of course, I had to get the power steps. I mean, it has to all look right when it's all together right? I know exactly what you're saying and I'm kinda OCD like that too. :-)

I have the aero side skirts. If I went with 19's, I'd have to at least drop it a little.

I really like this kind of look:

I love the way this looks. I may need a front bumper. D'oh. :-)

I need to lower mine a little so the 19's have that aggressive look. I don't drive very aggressively other than some spirited highway left lane traveling every now and then, but, even then it's in short bursts.
That C4S looks perfect....I agree with you...Right aero features and perfect ride height for the 19s.

Quick Reply: 18 or 19 Inch Wheels?