Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Right. That's the way it's supposed to be. The beam pattern itself (shaped by the reflector or an internal shield) is lower on the side of oncoming traffic.

I've never heard of actually aiming the whole headlight bucket lower, though, which also affects the high beam.

And if that's true, then what effect should adjusting the height manually have? How would the self-adjuster know where the beam itself was pointed?

In the shop manual, the headlight aiming instructions specify that for Litronics, you should manually set the headlights to the same level, then turn the ignition off and on to allow the self-adjuster to move them, then set the level again. There's no indication that you should set them to different levels.
There is a major difference between Litronics and Bi-Xenons in this regard. With a Litronic headlight, the light rotates up when turning on the highbeam. This does not happen with a Bi-Xenon. With the Bi-Xenon, the shutter in the headlight opens to re-direct the light.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For the scope of this topic, there is no difference. The adjustment procedures are the same.

I do have one idea in re the original poster's observation: how many people aim the headlights with a person sitting in the driver's seat? If you don't, the driver's side will definitely be lower once you get in.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
For the scope of this topic, there is no difference. The adjustment procedures are the same.

I do have one idea in re the original poster's observation: how many people aim the headlights with a person sitting in the driver's seat? If you don't, the driver's side will definitely be lower once you get in.
Your point is right on with regard to having someone in the driver's seat when adjusting the lights. This is pretty clear in the manual. An interesting point would be in regard to people of different weights and what affect that would have (if any) on the actual focal point.

...of course, this lends credence to never allowing anyone to drive our P-cars! The headlights are as finely tuned as the rest of the car.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Try this: hop into the car, don't put the key in yet. Turn on the low beam (i.e., turn the light switch all the way), then stick your key in the ignition and turn it to ON without cranking the engine. Now, you should see and hear the headlights move. If not, you have a problem.

And yes, my driver side is a little lower than the pax side as well just like your dealer (and my dealer) explained.
Did this and yes it does work. If you turn the key on prior to turning the lights on it doesn't self level.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 PM
liljohnny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dstutler
Did this and yes it does work. If you turn the key on prior to turning the lights on it doesn't self level.
Pretty sure^^^ that has no bearing, mine self level as soon as they come on regardless.......
Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

On my C4S, the headlights cycled up and down when I first turned on the ignition, not when I turned on the headlights.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 AM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996 xenon was the first to have self-adjusting and not sure if there are/were any problems with it.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 AM
liljohnny
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
On my C4S, the headlights cycled up and down when I first turned on the ignition, not when I turned on the headlights.
Mine do as well on my 03 C2......but I assume it does that because the lights come on with the ignition as a feature of the DRL up here in Canada. Not sure why they used the xenon bulb for DRL's any of the other lights (parking, fog, aux. HB) would have worked as a DRL and would not have been as expensive to replace like the $100 OE xenon bulbs!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Originally Posted by liljohnny
Pretty sure^^^ that has no bearing, mine self level as soon as they come on regardless.......
Not my experience.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon Headlight Question