996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My new lift (Nussbaum Sprinter Mobil II)...added more photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Just to answer some questions.

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
Is it secured to the floor?
No and that's why I like it. I can move it anywhere around my garage plus my garage floor says "Do not drill and do not core" so that's not an option for me. The lift is around 1,000lb and it's rock solid even with the car fully raised.

Originally Posted by medtech
How much??
$4.3k delivered. I know I know...still have tears when I see my VISA statement...

Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
http://www.bowlinent.com/lifts/nussbaum_sprinter.php
Yes, that's where I got it from. They're pretty set on the price or my negotiation skills suck.

Whoa.... I wasn't expecting $3000+. Did you get it for a lot less?
I wish...not the most economical solution for sure but then I don't see ANY other lifts with the same open-middle design AND build quality AND costing less. The other chinese clones have much smaller hydraulic cylinders. There's an Italian version but then German vs Italian I think I would choose German. Even the popular Bendpak one is not very cheap either. It's close to $2k and it doesn't have open access in the middle and its footprint is a lot smaller so with the car it looks like more top heavy.

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Does it have any type of safty lock? Is 3 grand accurate? How much was shipping?
No but instead it has a safety hydraulic circuit so even when one cylinder is leaking or a single line is cut (each cylinder has its own hydraulic line), the other cylinder will still hold the car in place. It also has a limited rate lowering valve so even if the cylinders fail, the lift will not slamp down but would rather lowered slowly. You can always place a jack stand under the pivot point of the scissor to support it further if you wish. Price is $3.8k + $500 shipping to the door (residential).

Originally Posted by redridge
nice lift.... what is the ground clearance?
4" and I can drive my (stock) 996 on it without extra ramps. For lowered suspension, I imagine you could just put a 1~2" planks before the built-in ramps.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Periodically, there is a group buy for the EZCarlift on 6-speed; not as fancy, uses your electric drill for power, $1800.
gota link?

Never mind it came right up in a search. I'm torn, I like the ez lift because you can use a crawler all the way under. But the Nussbaum seem higher and better built
Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 2000996MIA
nice. whatever it set you back, you'll save alot of grief and lift $$ working on DIY mods
Can't agree more!! Plus I have other cars to work on too so I hope to broaden my general car wrenching skills
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Maybe if it was a Honda ...
OUCH!!!

Damn, I should have kept my mouth shut!

Touche!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

gota link?
Go to 6-speed, click on groupbuy -- about the 3rd item down

or

go direct to:

http://www.gotogroupbuy.com/488/EZ-Carlift.aspx

The first round they sold 60 of them. Later group buys have been smaller -- but people seem to have been satisfied. Again, it is not as nice as the one discussed in this thread....but it doesn't cost as much.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, I considered that lift too but I ruled it out because:
- If you need to work on multiple cars with different track widths, you need to assemble the lift with different cross spacers. For me, one of the reasons to get a lift is convenience so I can save time and elbow grease to jack up the car.
- 26" may or may not be high enough
- 4400lb capacity won't work for my SUV (or most SUVs for that matter)
- The whole lift is only 170lb so I can't justify the $2k price with such simple constrution. It doesn't even come with a motor!

Having said all that, I'm sure there will be use case given the right (lowered) price.

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Go to 6-speed, click on groupbuy -- about the 3rd item down

or

go direct to:

http://www.gotogroupbuy.com/488/EZ-Carlift.aspx

The first round they sold 60 of them. Later group buys have been smaller -- but people seem to have been satisfied. Again, it is not as nice as the one discussed in this thread....but it doesn't cost as much.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Those options are all pretty expensive, but I spose you do what ya gotta do....

I believe my Worth two post, 6,000# lift was prox $1,800, delivered.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Yea unfortunately, but due to concrete restriction (no drilling), low ceiling, and limited garage space, a two post is out of the question.

Originally Posted by Gretch
Those options are all pretty expensive, but I spose you do what ya gotta do....

I believe my Worth two post, 6,000# lift was prox $1,800, delivered.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

That is one of the best looking low rise lifts that I have seen. I saw these while instructing at Viper Days, Archer track support used them: http://eagleequip.com/Merchant2/merc...ory_Code=LI-LM
Much lower $$, but they don't look as nice or have as wide a base, but they worked well on the Vipers. They are having an event in two weeks, I plan to look at the set up again and try for fit on my 996.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Yea unfortunately, but due to concrete restriction (no drilling), low ceiling, and limited garage space, a two post is out of the question.
Post tension slab............ I'm in the same boat
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate being under a car, with out some kind of Mechanical safty lock, that I can see and put in place my self, Its not for me. Maybe my education on hydrolics is lacking. But I need an actual safty lock.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I hate being under a car, with out some kind of Mechanical safty lock, that I can see and put in place my self, Its not for me. Maybe my education on hydrolics is lacking. But I need an actual safty lock.
Kyle, you can always add your over-engineered engine support to it as a safety mechanism BTW, kudos to your IMS retrofit job and I think it should be the thread of the year! I enjoy it a lot.

Back to your point, it concerned me at first but then I understood more about the hydraulic safety system that each ram has it's own hydraulic circuit and it's designed so that if one ram fails, the other ram can still hold up the car. More detailed explaination can be found here in post #36 https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=32590 Dutchcrunch explains it a lot better. The concept is similar to the two independent brake circuits in our car (diagonal pairing of the brakes) that even if one circuit fails, the other one will still stop the car albeit longer stopping distance.

The other way to think about it is the second ram is really a redundant component as far as holding the lift in place and given that both rams failing at once is extremely unlikely, I think the risk is pretty small.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

the risk is likely very small or the mfg wouldn't have taken the short cut. Even my dual cylinder, cross cabled, two post lift has mechanical safety locks though.

Best of luck with it!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default safety locks

Gretch, the difference is this lift has a solid torsion bar that is completly solid and ties the two side together. on a two post lift you have to have safety lock as if one side fails the other can not hold the car up by itself and eventually the car will come down.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

And it jacks up an MDX like it's a piece of toy

Recent actions include x74 install, engine cleaning, oil change, and timing belt change on an Audi A4 1.8T. Sure there will be lot more coming...

Name:  IMG_8894 (Large).jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8895 (Large).jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8896 (Large).jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8898 (Large).jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  121.7 KB