Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

noise from gearbox? clutch going? input welcomed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is quite torquey so maybe its a motor mount. I'd check the CV boots to make sure none of them are ripped/unsealed.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I know, CV joint or motor mount were the first things I thought of, or just anything loose in the engine that is only knocking at that speed. But I've had two shops look at the suspension, and dealer says they looked at motor mounts and all of that checks out.

I found a post on the 964 board from a guy who had a DMF failure with similar symptoms -

https://rennlist.com/forums/1203073-post3.html

I've been suspicious of the DMF, but I don't have any of the classic DMF symptoms (clunk on start up or shutdown, clunk on gear changes).
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM
GO_ANALOG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Same...

Originally Posted by KrisKringle
So, yesterday I hear this metallic noise coming from just aft of driver seat.
Sounds like a short 'clang' of a light metal and is not very loud at all. (sorry best description)

Happened when I eased of the gas in 3rd gear and than added a bit. Only around 2000-2300rpm.

Could recreate it by letting off the throttle to 2000rpm and giving light throttle input. Only audible for a fraction of a second as the light throttle is applied.

Can do the same in 4th gear.

Car picks up normally otherwise and clutch pedal feels normal.
More abrupt throttle input does not recreate the effect.

2003 C4S with about 40k on it.

Is this the clutch or possible issue with the AWD? Input welcomed.
Kris, A perfect description of what I have happening. I have a 04 C2 with 107k miles, the car has been super reliable. Mine has been doing this for a few weeks; getting slightly worse but, still not loud. Last night (could be unrelated) was in 5th or 6th gear at around 2k RPM and lost power briefly (for a second then came right back) 3 times in a half mile, as if ignition was lost. Kept it under load and got it home with no problem...

Getting it to the shop today. Isn't the ignition sensor at the flywheel? I'm going to have a guess that it's the DMF??? Thoughts anyone?

Any update on what the problem was/is with yours?

Kind Regards....

Quick Reply: noise from gearbox? clutch going? input welcomed.