Window won't go down

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window won't go down

Hi all, I am talking about my 2000 Boxster S, but nobody on the boxster forum has responded so I am asking my questions here since I believe it would be the same if I had a 996 cab.

My car has been stored this winter and the battery died. I got the battery charged and the car started a couple of days ago. My driver's side window no longer operates. It does not drop down to allow the door to open and close when you get in or out. Nor does it operate with the switch when the car is running. I can here a clicking sound when the switch is depressed but there is zero window movement. Trying to push it down manually does nothing as it is solid as a rock.

Any suggestions on what is broken? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the clicking in the door or sound like a relay someplace?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car is not at my house right now, so I can't be certain. My belief is that I heard an electronic clicking sound in the door. I will try to get over to the car and confirm. The passenger side window is functioning properly, if that matters.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe a window regulator? Search 'window regulator' for symptoms.GL
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
plastex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get an answer on this? My 01 996 is doing the exact same thing after I just put the battery in to replace the dead one.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I think that when the regulator goes bad, you can actually move the window down a few millimeters if you press down on the glass. This sounds more like a switch to me.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
plastex
Instructor

But I when I push the switch I can hear something clicking in the door, yet nothing. I had just put a battery in the car and when I had tried starting the car with the old battery both windows were going up/down as the lights flashed. Then I put the new battery in and the drivers window doesn't work now.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got my Boxster oover to my garage at home. Window still not working. I agree that it seems the switch isn't working. However, the drop of the window 1/4" when the door is opened and 4" when the convertible top is unlatched doesn't work either, so it would appear not to be the switch. It seems that the window just isn't getting any power. I am going to have to take it to the dealer if nobody here can help me.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I don't know what to tell you. I wonder if it needs to be recalibrated somehow because of the loss of power...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the regulator cable gets jammed up due to fraying, the window will not move.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finally was able to address this window issue and here is what was found. Took the car to my idependent mechanic (Wright Tuning just East of Cincinnati, great race shop) and they fixed it in less than 1 hour. Turns out that nothing was wrong with any parts just that the window motor had gotten stuck. They manually moved the motor and once it got past the stuck point it all works normally now. The door panel was removed in order to gain access to the wondow motor, it was not possible to free it by simply pushing on the glass. Although, if we knew that was the problem we might have pushed a bit harder on the glass to try to free it. No problems with fuses, relays, or switches, just a stuck motor. Hope this helps somebody at some point.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a good outcome for you.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Daniel, glad it was something relative inexpensive. Thanks for reporting on the fix.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
wongster
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Finally was able to address this window issue and here is what was found. Took the car to my idependent mechanic (Wright Tuning just East of Cincinnati, great race shop) and they fixed it in less than 1 hour. Turns out that nothing was wrong with any parts just that the window motor had gotten stuck. They manually moved the motor and once it got past the stuck point it all works normally now. The door panel was removed in order to gain access to the wondow motor, it was not possible to free it by simply pushing on the glass. Although, if we knew that was the problem we might have pushed a bit harder on the glass to try to free it. No problems with fuses, relays, or switches, just a stuck motor. Hope this helps somebody at some point.
How did you manage to manually turn the motor?
I'm experiencing the exact same problem...
Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:08 PM
wongster
Cruisin'

OK, so I found out what it was. after disassembling and inspecting everything (regulator, door lock)

Here was the symtoms:

Battery died during storage (trickle charge wasn't plugged properly...)
Then when I recharged the battery, my right window didn't move at all.
no matter if I tried to press on the rocker switch or tried to open the door, the window didn't budge.

So finally I found this post by StatmanDesigns and another post "from a Mazda forum" which suggested to slap the door while pressing the window switch. of course I couldn't slam my door since the window was completely up so it would have hit the door frame seal.

So here was my solution, I click the rocker switch for the window to go down repeatedly and simultaneously repeatedly punch the inside of the door top left (passenger door) near the door hindge and the window started to go down. Not too sure was causes that. But fixed my problem.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Window won't go down