996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Recaro Profi SPG seats street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
pdobbs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro Profi SPG seats street legal?

I currently have Recaro Euro GT3 seats in my 996, but have found they're not the ideal fit for my height (6'5"). I am contemplating the Recaro Profi SPG XL seats, but just learned from the local distributor they are not DOT street legal. He even went so far to say that if you were to get in an accident with them and be injured that the insurance company could reject coverage if they learned the seats were in the car.

Is that right? Has anyone else heard that before and if so, then what do you do? Take them in/out with factory seats only for track days? Or is that why everyone goes with the Euro GT3 seats (which I presume are street legal).

Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have understanding that they are ok for street use. at least in Finland. maybe in US it is different story.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The euro GT3 seats were never sold installed in a car in the U.S. either. I don't think there's any way to eliminate the risk of an insurance company denying coverage due to non factory installed equipment if you want "race" seats. Now the current GT2 folding buckets do come installed in the cars delivered in the U.S. however they're certainly not cheap.

I personally would use the Recaro PROFI's, and not worry about it. I believe this was the base for several "factory" seats in some European Porsches.

Quick Reply: Recaro Profi SPG seats street legal?