Sponsored by:

Soon to be 996 Cab Owner - Buying Advice/Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra2top

Anyway, back to the original question, what do you think of this car?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...27|56|-39|-106

Anyone have a comment on why this car's Carfax could has so many entries? PO was very meticulous or a problem car?

One note, the silver NC car is possibly sold. Owner wrote back last night that he has a deal in the works so that is most likely gone.
That CARFAX link does not provide the report for that car. I was surprised that the CARFAX for my 2002 listed every visit to the dealer in detail. Nice info that backed up the maintenance receipts and then some.

My take on CARFAX: the reports are valuable, but are not a complete picture, particularly for exotic cars. For example, my car had some fairly minor paintwork done after a slight parking lot crash. I got the receipts and complete disclosure of the accident. The work was done by a good shop and you cannot tell, unless you really know how to look.

But... the accident and the repair do not show on the CARFAX report. The repair did not go through insurance (the other person was at fault and just paid the bill).

Just the other day I was looking at a 96 MB SL500 on a local Chrysler dealer's lot. The salesman was quite proud to show me a 'clean' CARFAX. I then showed him detailed evidence that the car had major repairs to both front and rear. Poor guy just did not know what to say.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra2top
Anyone know how to find this article? I saw this before and searched the web and stopped by my local book store. Found the magazine but it was a newer.
Here's the thread and I asked them if anybody knows which issue.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5159625
Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Bellmore996911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tips - visit the car in the rain to see if the top leaks (or bring a pitcher of water and pour it). The '03 manual says some leakage is normal but sometimes normal can be irritating.

Test out the top.

Make sure the OEM windscreen is in good shape w/ no holes or tears.

Get a Pre Purchase inspection at a porsche dealer who never saw that particular car. The seller may be golf buddies with the service manager and u dont want that. Ask him - would you certify this car - why or why not?

If you see one drop of oil run away.

Ask him to do an inspection to make sure it passes emissions standards.

Check the air pressure - 44 back -- 36 front. Do not assume the PPI will include filling the tires to spec. This happened to me and it cost me $100 to fix a bent rim and $750 for 2 new 285/30/18's within 300 miles lol.

Quick Reply: Soon to be 996 Cab Owner - Buying Advice/Help