Sponsored by:

Testing Oil Pressure Gauge/Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
c-w203
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing Oil Pressure Gauge/Instrument Cluster

After replacing the gauge faces, the Oil Pressure needle is dead. (When the the needle was pulled it came off with the "shaft" as well...).

All this is done by a speedometer-workshop and itīs located far from me so I have to send the instrument cluster back. Since they dosenīt have the car itīs a bit hard for the shop to test the oil pressure instrument cluster, so Iīm wondering if its possible to insert a analog signal to test just the Oil Pressure Gauge?

As far as I can see from the work shop electrical schematics the is the oil pressure signal coming in on plug 1 (blue) pin 9, and the analogue ground is connected to plug 1 pin 24.

Can they just use a 0-12V power supply (or is it a Milli-amp signal..?)on these two pins to test the oil pressure gauge?

All help appreciated
Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM
c-w203
5th Gear

Update:
Itīs not completely "dead", it raises up to approx. 0.7 bar. When i turn of the engine, it stays at 0,7 bar until Iīm knocking on the instrument with my fingers so it looks like it get stuck.

However, I would like to know if itīs possible to insert a variable voltage signal between pin 9 and 24 on plug 1 (blue) to test the oil pressure when the instrument cluster is open and on the table.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c-w203
Update:
Itīs not completely "dead", it raises up to approx. 0.7 bar. When i turn of the engine, it stays at 0,7 bar until Iīm knocking on the instrument with my fingers so it looks like it get stuck.

However, I would like to know if itīs possible to insert a variable voltage signal between pin 9 and 24 on plug 1 (blue) to test the oil pressure when the instrument cluster is open and on the table.
Have you tested the output from the sending unit? Garbage in, garbage out.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM
c-w203
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Have you tested the output from the sending unit? Garbage in, garbage out.
Havenīt done that, but it was working perfectly fine before the instrument cluster was disconnected and sent to the Speedo-workshop.

Canīt imagine that anything should happen with the Oil Pressure Sensor when the car has been in the garage all the time...
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c-w203
Havenīt done that, but it was working perfectly fine before the instrument cluster was disconnected and sent to the Speedo-workshop.

Canīt imagine that anything should happen with the Oil Pressure Sensor when the car has been in the garage all the time...
Very simple to test. Check for current at sending unit when key is on. If current is there, jumping both wires will deliver current to the gauge.

Quick Reply: Testing Oil Pressure Gauge/Instrument Cluster