Sponsored by:

sunroof hell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default sunroof hell

Started this morning. I go to close my sunroof so jab the close button once. The sunroof fails to autoclose. It works fine when I hold the button though, and auto open is fine too.

So this evening GNR996 tells me to train it by opening all the way, and hold the button, then close it all the way and hold the button.

So after that it closed automatically, but then opened a few inches again automatically as well. Then after a few more tries...it now only closes half way automatically and won't go any farther.

Help me obi wan kenobi - you're my only hope.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep it away from mine. Mines a crap shoot and only works manual open or close. Pain is when wanting it to slide back I'm tilting up and down a few before it connects on the idea of sliding back. I think its a switch error since the back rocker is disfunctional.

I've tried the by the manual operation which is where I figure the switch is bad.

Anybody able to post the reprogram info? I don't see it like the windows or keys in the service manual.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try removing the switch and spray electrical contact cleaner into the switch and operate several times and spray good again. Let it dry out and then reconnect the switch and see if it operates OK before re-installing. Do the same to the micro-switches. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

"f" with it, you dont... no stinkin sunroof, you dont need ..... young padiwan.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redridge
"f" with it, you dont... no stinkin sunroof, you dont need ..... young padiwan.
sunroof like I sometimes open do though.

Thanks for the tips...I got the b@stard closed by dicking with it and that how it's going to stay until the summer time I reckon. I think I'll pull the fuse or something so I don't open it inadvertantly.

if I'm honest it very occasionally would stop halfway and back up in the past. I chalked that up to binding and/or goo in the tracks. Come the better weather I think I'll figure out how to take it apart and clean everything. I might try cleaning the switch first...that's not a bad idea.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Pac996
Drifting

The manual says when locking the doors if you hold the key to the lock position it will close the windows and the sunroof. I tried closing the roof that way already and it didn't work. You might try that though. My windows open and close with the key but the sunroof doesn't budge when closing.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pac996
The manual says when locking the doors if you hold the key to the lock position it will close the windows and the sunroof. I tried closing the roof that way already and it didn't work. You might try that though. My windows open and close with the key but the sunroof doesn't budge when closing.

I guess that would rule out the switch eh? I'm not doing much I don't think until the summertime when I can risk having my roof stuck open for a awhile.

Thanks for the help gents.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Lube the sunroof guide/rails, friction is too high and the anti-finger pinch is preventing auto-close.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The 996 has a sunroof?

In the 3 plus years I had my 996, I opened my sunroof 3 times. Once to see if it worked, the second and third times to clean and treat the rubber seals. What a useless pain in the *** on any car!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wwest
Lube the sunroof guide/rails, friction is too high and the anti-finger pinch is preventing auto-close.
Yes - that's my gut feel of what the problem is. My inclination is to take the whole thing apart, clean it, lube it and consider the job done for another 8 years.

Have you lubed your rails? If so how did you get at them, from the top or did you drop the headliner and get at them from the inside?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
The 996 has a sunroof?

In the 3 plus years I had my 996, I opened my sunroof 3 times. Once to see if it worked, the second and third times to clean and treat the rubber seals. What a useless pain in the *** on any car!
In my head I want a car without a sunroof because race cars don't have sunroofs.

In my heart though I really really like my sunroof. Even today on the way home, it was 7 degrees and misty out, but it wasn't raining and I wanted the fresh air. I opened my window, but it was noisy and drafty. A working sunroof is exactly what I needed.

I just like sunroofs. If it's not raining, mine's probably open.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Ding ding ding!

Also make sure that the track is clean, and lube the drive screws (propellers, or whatever they are called).
This is done w/ the sunroof open from the top.

Do not be afraid of the sunroof. Lube it and love it, I always say.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by medtech
Ding ding ding!

Also make sure that the track is clean, and lube the drive screws (propellers, or whatever they are called).
This is done w/ the sunroof open from the top.

Do not be afraid of the sunroof. Lube it and love it, I always say.
Thanks med.

Yes - I fear no sunroof.

I rebuilt the sunroof of my 911 a couple of times. It sounds as though Porsche has moved away from the spiral bound cables and is using drive screws?.

In the 911 it was easy to access the back end of the system because there was a zipper in the headliner. Not so easy in the 996....and not necessary it seems.

I wonder if renntech has a procedure and photos?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
The 996 has a sunroof?

I beg to differ...Tim, it looks like your Hondahas a sunroof also!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by Barn996
I beg to differ...Tim, it looks like your Hondahas a sunroof also!
That's not a sunroof. It's the weather cap on his diagnostic socket. Honda figured out lots of problems involve the drivers thinking so they relocated the socket so it plugs into the driver skull easier for reprograming them too.

Quick Reply: sunroof hell