Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid dry - here's why update

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power steering fluid dry - here's why update

I was checking fluids today and noticed the power steering resevoir did not read any fluid. The motor was still warm - hot and it didn't even register even at the cold reading on the dipstick. I'm surprised the system is okay.

If the dealer that I bought the CPO car from wasn't 50 miles away, I would be there on Monday. Maybe the dealer 5 miles away will shoot a little in there for me when I have the 2 oil leaks looked at.

Last edited by Optical TDI; 01-25-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you found the source of one of the leaks!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Okay to drive short distances (<10 miles) until I get it in Tuesday?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I would go to the dealer get a can of the right stuff, fill it then drive the car to the dealer.
If you run the pump dry and it gets wrecked you may not have a stand on the CPO issue.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I was checking fluids today and noticed the power steering resevoir did not read any fluid. The motor was still warm - hot and it didn't even register even at the cold reading on the dipstick. I'm surprised the system is okay.

If the dealer that I bought the CPO car from wasn't 50 miles away, I would be there on Monday. Maybe the dealer 5 miles away will shoot a little in there for me when I have the 2 oil leaks looked at.
If car under CPO warranty it should also have Porsche road side assistance and you can call 800 number to arrange to have the car flat bedded to dealer if car not drivable and I would think no fluid showing in power steering reservior means car not drivable.

If you want, check with dealer service department manager. I wouldn't drive the car with no power steering fluid though.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Power steering leaking at the filler neck, o-rings, etc - not covered by CPO, $45 in parts and 2 hours labor. At least winter labor is discounted to $95/hr. I would have thought this would have been covered...oh well can't have a PS fluid leak.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

thats BS.... do they give you a list of what is covered? Leaks are not covered?

Edit: just saw your other updated thread.... I guess they can make cpo rules as they go. That list of cpo item was long. $200.... It could of been worse.... I understand why you are not complaining to much.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

I was surprised too, but they are covering a bunch of other stuff for CPO: RMS, oil filler tube, valve lift actuator, so I don't think they are trying to hose me for 2 hrs cash labor.

The service advisor says he puts in a part number and possilby other info into the CPO system and it tells him if it's covered. He said he was surprised it isn't since this is not a wear and tear item.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have a reason as to why it wasn't covered under your CPO, but you did well if you 'only' spent $235. from a dealer, and they fixed the leak.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

thats BS.... do they give you a list of what is covered? Leaks are not covered?
Well under CPO my Coolant Tank was NOT covered. You know, since it's a 'wear and tear' item and all.

I asked them to show me in where in normal service visits the Coolant Tank is 'inspected' or 'replaced'? Since it's a wear and tear item it should have an expected service life. Yeah, great manufacturers warranty there at Porsche. I have NEVER had a coolant tank fail on any vehicle..... even on my 1965 Corvair And funny how Porsche replaced it with a later model part#, not the original. Obviously it's a known problem yet they still screw over their customers.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suspect that anyone buying CPO coverage would have been supplied with and would have read the details of the coverage?

As far as driving with the PS fluid slightly below the neck connection, that is not a problem and will do no harm.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I would suspect that anyone buying CPO coverage would have been supplied with and would have read the details of the coverage?

As far as driving with the PS fluid slightly below the neck connection, that is not a problem and will do no harm.
The CPO language is vague that PCNA sent me. It says the CPO is just like their new warranty. Open to interpretation I suppose. Maybe the word "like" means "similar".
Old 01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Came with the car, didn't buy separate here..... but a factory warranty that doesn't cover the coolant tank from a known early product defect is quite lame.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

TDI, Porsche revised the CPO warranty coverage around August of 2008.

Was the CPO warranty car issued on your before or after August of 2008? If it was before that date, the CPO warranty is more limited than those issued after August, 2008.

The warranty quote below is the coverage for a warranty issued after August, 2008.

"The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like our new car limited warranty. All you’re responsible for are normal wear and tear components, such as brake pads or wiper blades and scheduled maintenance. What’s more, you receive 2 years or 50,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first) following the remainder of the new limited warranty. Plus, our around-the-clock Porsche Roadside Assistance in the unlikely event you have trouble on the road. All in all, you can rest easy knowing that you’re covered."
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
TDI, Porsche revised the CPO warranty coverage around August of 2008.

Was the CPO warranty car issued on your before or after August of 2008? If it was before that date, the CPO warranty is more limited than those issued after August, 2008.

The warranty quote below is the coverage for a warranty issued after August, 2008.

"The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like our new car limited warranty. All you’re responsible for are normal wear and tear components, such as brake pads or wiper blades and scheduled maintenance. What’s more, you receive 2 years or 50,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first) following the remainder of the new limited warranty. Plus, our around-the-clock Porsche Roadside Assistance in the unlikely event you have trouble on the road. All in all, you can rest easy knowing that you’re covered."
It was just issued 11/2009. Maybe I'll press the service writer to investigate. Any normal protocol for doing this that has been successful?

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid dry - here's why update