Sponsored by:

996 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

C4S with winter tires is fine in snow, but the winter tires are key. I'd rather drive a C2 with good snow tires in the snow than a C4 with summer tires.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Black TT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not driven both at speed. I have only driven the turbo models to date. That would create another discussion which I am sure has been done!

You are right about the engines. Since both are S models, the 997 is the 3.8 vs the 3.6 and therefore 35 more HP. Figured the gap was closed somewhat with the headers/exhaust upgrade.

It seems like there is about $10K for each year difference so similiar models with mileage/options the same are about $10K apart starting in 2004 and going through 2008. Mileage seems to be the big player in the formula.

Thanks for the discussion, Mike
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Black TT
Well it looks like he took my offer on the C4S. Felt the 8K in mileage and 10K in price was just to much to leave on the table. It also had a $6K exhaust upgrade and really did not need anything from the get go. We'll see if it was the right decision down the road when I "upgrade" again. I have been an air cooled guy for awhile and the wife wanted something with more comfort, so I caved. The 35 more HP would have been nice, but with all the speed cameras down here, hardly worth it. Any upgrades really worth adding to the car. Not going to track it. Thanks for all the input, it did help. BTW I did hear from someone that a lot of folks in the upper 1/2 of the US prefer the 4S because it allows them to drive it in winter? Do you agree?
Mine's only a C4, but I absolutely agree. It's virtually unstoppable with winter tires installed.

Nice choice, BTW--you've actually got a relatively rare car...the elusive '05 C4S. Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

...Nice problem to have, BTW.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the Porsche Winter Driving School. I think it's in Iceland. All 4s and 4Ss on a track made of snow and ice.

The 4S is a great car. You can't go wrong with that choice.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Black TT
AutoX

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know what I think when it arrives next Wed. Getting a fluff and buff before the trip!!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know what I think when it arrives next Wed. Getting a fluff and buff before the trip!!

Congrats
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

BTW I did hear from someone that a lot of folks in the upper 1/2 of the US prefer the 4S because it allows them to drive it in winter? Do you agree?

The guys I know up here (Montreal, Toronto, New York) who have a C4S or Turbo don't use it in winter, between the salt, snow mixed with gravel bits, extreme temperature difference between your garage and outside plus people in general driving/sliding around like morons it's not something I would want to expose my C4S to (now if it was in Aspen it would be a different story)!

That said, I know a lot of C4S owners use it in the winter because they don't have another choice or because their winters are very mild.

Anyway that's my 5 cents, " Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"...

Cheers,

Sid.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
...a lot of C4S owners use it in the winter because they don't have another choice
That's don't want another choice. I had a <1000 mile a year Porsche. Now I get to drive one every day.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:40 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
That's don't want another choice. I had a <1000 mile a year Porsche. Now I get to drive one every day.
Jon,

Good for you! Glad you woke up.

Is there something in the water in PA that keeps owners from driving their Porsche? There is another guy in PA that never drove his car. What's his name again? I think it started with a "P".....
Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Black TT
AutoX

I do not plan on driving it in the snow, but if the mood strikes, I will. Now have to look for wheels/tires....Just out of curiosity, are sport seats a desirable option? I have them on my 993 turbo, and really liked them but have heard comments that they are uncomfortable for some people. How about the aero kit? Is that something to add to a C4S and have the cost returned when you sell it?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Big +1 to that.

I actually unloaded one of our cars so that the C4S could get driven more all year round.

I personally fail to see the point of opting for AWD if the weather's always dry, but I also never agreed with the whole "RWD is bad for winter" thing either. I had a Lexus IS300 and a BMW 3-series a few years back which were both just fine in the worst of winter. It's all a matter of adjusting your driving style.

Besides, what about all those with their $100k + (CAD) Range Rovers, M-B S500s...and Cayennes? They have as much or more money into their cars and are subjecting them to all that winter has to offer.

So Sid, if & when you see a Seal Gray C4S driving around with a xxx VSM license plate, that'll be me - very nice ride you have btw.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
Big +1 to that.

I actually unloaded one of our cars so that the C4S could get driven more all year round.

I personally fail to see the point of opting for AWD if the weather's always dry, but I also never agreed with the whole "RWD is bad for winter" thing either. I had a Lexus IS300 and a BMW 3-series a few years back which were both just fine in the worst of winter. It's all a matter of adjusting your driving style.

Besides, what about all those with their $100k + (CAD) Range Rovers, M-B S500s...and Cayennes? They have as much or more money into their cars and are subjecting them to all that winter has to offer.

So Sid, if & when you see a Seal Gray C4S driving around with a xxx VSM license plate, that'll be me - very nice ride you have btw.
Listen guys, when it's nice ( the roads are clean ) like today I have mine for out fore sure!!!

But when it snows I take my Benz SUV, not because it's worth less than my C4S or because the Porsche can't handle it (unless there's too much snow then it would turn in to a snowplow) but because I really don't see the enjoyment in driving my C4S when everyone is slipping & sliding and you have to worry about some A-hole bumping into you when they park (which they do!), that will just get me into trouble

I love the C4S because of it's handling (which is very different than the C2S) and of course it's looks!!!!!

But like I said that's just my take on it, no need to take it personally Jon, if my comment doesn't apply to you there's really no need to defend it.

Mtl911sc, I'm sure you took your C4S out today as well, I'll keep an eye out for ya, I'll be the big guy with the big mouth and loud Porsche, you can't miss me!

Cheers,

Sid.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

I do not plan on driving it in the snow, but if the mood strikes, I will. Now have to look for wheels/tires....Just out of curiosity, are sport seats a desirable option? I have them on my 993 turbo, and really liked them but have heard comments that they are uncomfortable for some people. How about the aero kit? Is that something to add to a C4S and have the cost returned when you sell it?
Whatever you spend in customizing will be purely for your own enjoyment you'll probably never see a penny back of it when you resell, it may make it easier to sell (versus a stock car) but then again it may not be to everyones taste...

I say you live once, so do whatever makes you happy, be it stock or customized you've got yourself a hell of a ride, CONGRATS!

Enjoy,

Sid.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid

I say you live once, so do whatever makes you happy, be it stock or customized you've got yourself a hell of a ride, CONGRATS!

Enjoy,

Sid.
Double +1 to that.

If my car was as tight as yours Sid, I probably wouldn't subject it to our winters either. Some even say the older 911s are great in the winter, but I just couldn't do it to my old SC. As far as I know she's a virgin & I'd like to keep her that way

Quick Reply: 996 vs 997