Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mark Walberg's 996 takes a dump (of oil)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh no not in Cali....major oil spill better get the EPA and DEP involved.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Been there, done that. Still trying to get the oil off my shoes cuz it happened in a dark parking lot
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm sure he won't be upset with that... he'll just throw down some cash for the new model.... i'm sure if he went public porsche would throw him a free engine if not a free car....
Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

It will be interesting to see how Porsche steps up to the bar to fix Mark's 996. They have stonewalled every attempt to get information on the failure rate. Mark has sufficient public stature so if he were angry enough, I'm certain he would say something.

IMHO, it is just a matter of time until some lawyer (who specializes in class action suits) gets ahold of this. I remember when BMW was having major problems with their silicon impregnated aluminum engines. The high sulfur content of US gas was eating the cylinder walls away and lots of these engines lost their compression. BMW did step up to the bar and replaced the failed engines. Likewise, they had massive paint problems when they converted over to water based paints. Lots of cars had their paint peeling off in large sheets. Again, BMW repainted many cars. There was still a class action suit as some owners claimed that no matter the reason, when their cars were repainted, they lost approx. $2k to $3k in value. Don't recall what happened in this second case.

I can't believe with all the boxster and 996 and 997 (!) engines having this IMS failure that there has not already been a class action suit.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes_996
i'm sure if he went public porsche would throw him a free engine if not a free car....
That is what I am afraid of -- Porsche will recognize a VIP owner and comp him on the new engine replacement.

What Porsche really needs to recognize is that this IS an issue and really needs to offer some sort of compensation or retrofit, much like the excellent kit available from Charles (LN Eng).

The oil slick's left behind when this happens (seen it many times) is a trip hazard!

Last edited by chris walrod; 01-13-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/13/mark-w...-takes-a-leak/

Looks like no matter how much money you have, no one with a 996 is safe from a catastrophic engine failure!
yeah but it takes a good amount of money to smile about it as he is the pix 1.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^I think if it were pics of me and my car, I would be on the curb crying!

Perhaps there is still hope for a class action settlement. I own a couple of E46 BMW 3-Series which, if you hadn't heard, have a problem with the rear subframe developing cracks in it. After years of internet bitching, someone finally filed suit and a settlement was reached late last year. As a result of the settlement, BMW NA will perform a free inspection and repair as necessary. I still need to take our cars in. Now if they'll just address the problem with the automatic transmissions dropping reverse at 100k and needing rebuilding, the world will be right again (details at www.noreverse.org).
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between us is that when Mark sees a pool of oil under his 996, you can see on the picture, to him its just a funny quirky thing that he brushes off as his manager starts a 997 GT2 search for him, to us, we'd be cringing, hoping CPO or some other coverage saves the day.

Now if he saw a large puddle under his private jet, well that wouldn't be a laughing matter...
Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So you say you want a 997 because it doesn't have the same problems as the 996. Instead of a slow oil leak thru the RMS, it just dumps all the oil at one time....German Engineering just gets better and better.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who knows, maybe his oil pan fell off due to a brush with a parking lot divider? Or, his drain plug was loose and fell off? I guess we'll never know what happened, unless Marky Mark posts results here!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That oil looked very dirty!!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats exactly how my recent IMS failure looked like!! how funny!! i bet that car has very little miles..
Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love how the assumption is that he should be driving the newest one or that somehow that just because it's old he didn't spend a lot of money on it. While I can appreciate that many of the current posters on the board paid 20 or 30 grand for their 996s, many of us paid quite a bit more, and I don't think we consider our cars "cheap" by any stretch, old maybe!

I'm glad to see he is willing to drive the car he owns into the ground, sound businessman! (I'm that way in that I never sell cars, they just stay in the family until they are ready for charity, and get replaced with new or recent CPO depending on purpose)
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
I love how the assumption is that he should be driving the newest one or that somehow that just because it's old he didn't spend a lot of money on it. While I can appreciate that many of the current posters on the board paid 20 or 30 grand for their 996s, many of us paid quite a bit more, and I don't think we consider our cars "cheap" by any stretch, old maybe!

I'm glad to see he is willing to drive the car he owns into the ground, sound businessman! (I'm that way in that I never sell cars, they just stay in the family until they are ready for charity, and get replaced with new or recent CPO depending on purpose)
Well said.

regardless of price, there is no such thing as a "cheap" Porsche and as most of us know when it comes to maintenance we are still paying to maintain a 65K+ car, not a Honda (Sorry Tim)

Mark W probbaly bought his 996, drives it and enjoys it so why replace it.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

I still don't understand how an IMS failure vomits oil from the transmission||engine junction. Theses spills look like someone punches a friggin hole in the pan.

Quick Reply: Mark Walberg's 996 takes a dump (of oil)