996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My tip goes into 5th gear so early

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, the truth is this is not all doom and gloom.
There are 2 solutions....

1. Is called the Sprint Throttle Booster and it runs about $300.
2. Would be an ECU reprogramming, which costs about $1000.

Both would improve throttle lag, make the e-gas sportier, and make the car more fun to drive. Much like having sport chrono w/ sport button.

I think the Sprint Booster w/ appropriate "stab and release" pedal techinique would make the car much more fun to drive.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
There are 3 solutions....

3. Buy a 996 with a manual transmission.

Both would improve throttle lag, make the e-gas sportier, and make the car more fun to drive. Much like having sport chrono w/ sport button.

I think the Sprint Booster w/ appropriate "stab and release" pedal techinique would make the car much more fun to drive.
Med, I completed the "solutions list" for ya'!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

There are 2 solutions....

Won't work on mine. Cable.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
Med, I completed the "solutions list" for ya'!
Yes, you did!

By the time I can afford to get back into a 911 there will probably be a 4th option:

4. Buy 5 year old 2010 911 Turbo w/ PDK.

Time to go to Vegas Babey!!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, you did!

By the time I can afford to get back into a 911 there will probably be a 4th option:

4. Buy 5 year old 2010 911 Turbo w/ PDK.

Time to go to Vegas Babey!!
I will be able to get a 2010 911 Turbo with a manual transmission....... in 2023!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GIAC did have a TCU program for the turbos, have spoken with them, from what I remember they just didn't see the need to produce a flash for the standard cars since the shifts are already fast (hydraulically/mechanically limited, software is not holding it back)

98(RoW)-01 are all ZF except turbo which are Mercedes Benz (they are not Chrysler units, they were at the time sourced through then Daimler Chrysler but are true MB units, the particular generation of which I have a little too much experience with, but in a word, bulletproof for a planetary/torque converter box)

02 to 08 are all MB, 3 variants, one for C2, one for C4, and a higher rated (torque) unit for TT

Sprint booster will probably work, although the one guy on this board who bought had some car trouble about two weeks after he installed it from what I recall.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The Tiptronic has a bunch of shift programs, and will tailor itself to your driving style to shift the way it senses you want it to. If you drive like a granny, it will be in 5th gear before you clear the intersection. If all you do is push the go pedal to the floor, you'll still be in 2nd at 70mph.

The way to fix this is to not drive like a granny. It will automatically adjust into the appropriate shift mode for your driving style. Alternately, you can give it "hints" via the tip paddles. If you downshift into 1st before launching from red lights and tromp the gas hard, the tip will pretty quickly get the hint and automatically put you into first and delay upshifts. Likewise, if you're always tapping up to 5th after coming to speed, it will think it's in too aggressive a mode and will upshift early. If you do this, it's fine, just be prepared to manually downshift, too. I've got my tip trained very well for my driving style; it will shift automatically shift from 5th to 2nd to 5th in about as many seconds when I break clear of heavy traffic and get up to proper speed on the highway, which is something that's impossible to do manually.

All sprint booster does it push the gas peddle harder for you. You can push it harder yourself for free without mods; flooring the pedal to the stops will *always* engage the lowest gear and get you there faster. Most effective, of course, if you're already in the lowest gear.

Last edited by sjfehr; 01-17-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 PM
medtech
Drifting

^^ True dat!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I'm not the only one who's got mixed feelings about tip transmission...

I'm lucky enough to have a choice of "manly" toys but the wife was feeling left out because she can't drive any of them (they're all stick shift ) needless to say she caught on that this is no coincidence... fearing the fires of hell I finally got a tip tronic (I was getting a little tired of all that clutching in slow traffic anyway).

Guess what, she drove it once and decided she liked her CLK better!

Being a typical guy, I of course immediately customized the hell out of it.
40 grand later and this C4S is absolutely my favorite ride.
I also got over the tip issue by chipping the car, it makes a huge difference!!!!

Although it does mean you'll spend most of your time (in town) in 1st and 2nd ...needless to say, I really didn't have a choice but to get high-flow headers, 200 cell cats and a sports exhaust

Cheers guys.

Sid.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
medtech
Drifting

^^ Nice!!

Quick Reply: My tip goes into 5th gear so early