996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CDR23 Radio covered under CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CDR23 Radio covered under CPO?

When I called my dealer to fix/replace my CDR23 radio, they state that the radio is not covered, "but maybe the part that is causing the radio to fail is". Either way, they say I am on the hook for the "diagnosis". So I'm a little confused... the CPO book states:
"The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like our new car limited warranty. All you’re responsible for are normal wear and tear components, such as brake pads or wiper blades and scheduled maintenance. What’s more, you receive 2 years or 50,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first) following the remainder of the new car limited warranty. Plus, our around-the-clock Porsche Roadside Assistance in the unlikely event you have trouble on the road. All in all, you can rest easy knowing that you’re covered."
So how can the radio NOT be covered and why would I be on the hook for the diagnosis of it? My CPO runs out in March so I need to take care of this asap! I also called the 800-PORSCHE number and she said, "It states what's covered in the CPO book". Well, the above quote is all that it says... HELP! Does anyone know the definitive answer?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's covered. Go to another dealer if you can. These guys are obviously morons.

FWIW I have had 2 head units completely replaced under original warranty on my Cayennes. My Boxster, which was a CPO, had even the smallest plastic part covered, just like the original warranty.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
When I called my dealer to fix/replace my CDR23 radio, they state that the radio is not covered, "but maybe the part that is causing the radio to fail is". Either way, they say I am on the hook for the "diagnosis". So I'm a little confused... the CPO book states:
"The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like our new car limited warranty. All you’re responsible for are normal wear and tear components, such as brake pads or wiper blades and scheduled maintenance. What’s more, you receive 2 years or 50,000 miles of coverage (whichever comes first) following the remainder of the new car limited warranty. Plus, our around-the-clock Porsche Roadside Assistance in the unlikely event you have trouble on the road. All in all, you can rest easy knowing that you’re covered."
So how can the radio NOT be covered and why would I be on the hook for the diagnosis of it? My CPO runs out in March so I need to take care of this asap! I also called the 800-PORSCHE number and she said, "It states what's covered in the CPO book". Well, the above quote is all that it says... HELP! Does anyone know the definitive answer?
Porsche revised the CPO warranty coverage around August of 2008.

Was the CPO warranty car issued on your before or after August of 2008? If it was before that date, the CPO warranty is more limited than those issued after August, 2008. The warranty quote above is the coverage for a warranty issued after August, 2008.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Porsche revised the CPO warranty coverage around August of 2008.

Was the CPO warranty car issued on your before or after August of 2008? If it was before that date, the CPO warranty is more limited than those issued after August, 2008. The warranty quote above is the coverage for a warranty issued after August, 2008.
Ironically, this was news to my service manager.

Porsche Strengthens Certified Pre-Owned Warranty

Beginning August 1st, consumers that purchase a Porsche Certified Pre-Owned vehicle will have a stronger warranty than has previously been offered.

Most information out there touts the extended warranty coverage that Porsche is offering. Actually, the time and mileage coverage is the same as it has been since the program started in June 2003.
The change comes in the parts covered by the new, improved warranty.
The prior parts coverage was structured more like you would see from a service contract.
The new parts coverage mirrors the coverage you would get with the new-vehicle warranty.
Although this is the same as it was prior, here is a rundown on the time and mileage coverage offered with the Porsche Pre-Owned program.
For vehicles certified outside of the new-vehicle warranty, the coverage will be for 2 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers), whichever comes first, from the time the vehicle was sold as pre-owned.
For vehicles certified during the new vehicle warranty period, the coverage will be for 6 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers), whichver comes first, from the the original sale of the vehicle.
It’s a nice upgrade and one that will help eliminate any confusion in coverage.

Automotive News, August 18, 2008
by Diana T. Kurylko
Summary:
The article informs that Porsche Cars North America Inc. has changed its certified pre-owned vehicle program to cover everything included in the new car warranty. Kevin Harvey, manager of pre-owned operations, said that the changes will give dealers a competitive edge because no other brand has a similar pre-owned warranty. He said that previously, items such as so-called comfort electronics like CD player, light bulbs and even the expansion tank that holds the coolant were not covered.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by soverystout
Ironically, this was news to my service manager.

Porsche Strengthens Certified Pre-Owned Warranty

Beginning August 1st, consumers that purchase a Porsche Certified Pre-Owned vehicle will have a stronger warranty than has previously been offered.

Most information out there touts the extended warranty coverage that Porsche is offering. Actually, the time and mileage coverage is the same as it has been since the program started in June 2003.
The change comes in the parts covered by the new, improved warranty.
The prior parts coverage was structured more like you would see from a service contract.
The new parts coverage mirrors the coverage you would get with the new-vehicle warranty.
Although this is the same as it was prior, here is a rundown on the time and mileage coverage offered with the Porsche Pre-Owned program.
For vehicles certified outside of the new-vehicle warranty, the coverage will be for 2 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers), whichever comes first, from the time the vehicle was sold as pre-owned.
For vehicles certified during the new vehicle warranty period, the coverage will be for 6 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers), whichver comes first, from the the original sale of the vehicle.
It’s a nice upgrade and one that will help eliminate any confusion in coverage.

Automotive News, August 18, 2008
by Diana T. Kurylko
Summary:
The article informs that Porsche Cars North America Inc. has changed its certified pre-owned vehicle program to cover everything included in the new car warranty. Kevin Harvey, manager of pre-owned operations, said that the changes will give dealers a competitive edge because no other brand has a similar pre-owned warranty. He said that previously, items such as so-called comfort electronics like CD player, light bulbs and even the expansion tank that holds the coolant were not covered.
So before OR after 8/2008, is the radio covered?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Before 08/2008 radio/pcm not covered.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by function12
Before 08/2008 radio/pcm not covered.
Can someone give me the different answer?

Quick Reply: CDR23 Radio covered under CPO?