996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Heated washer nozzles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering if there was any simple way (e.g. pull a fuse) to disable the headlight washers. I hate the spray the send all over the car when all I really wanted to wash is the windshield. (with the headlights on, of course)
Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your headlight and windshield washers are operating simultaneously, you may have a problem with your washer switches. Pulling on the wiper stalk operates just the windshield washer, pushing it away from you starts the headlight wash cycle.
For a daily driver in these parts, being so hot and dry these days, one has to try to remember to use the washers and wipers at least once a month, even just to move dust off the glass, because, as Edgy01 says, parts and systems have to be exercised occasionally in case they are ever needed.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Macster--get some glacial acetic acid (photographic sources) and you will get done quicker, and more thoroughly. It's is a much higher strength of "vinegar."
Will this stuff hurt finish of car?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Hambisa
If your headlight and windshield washers are operating simultaneously, you may have a problem with your washer switches. Pulling on the wiper stalk operates just the windshield washer, pushing it away from you starts the headlight wash cycle.
For a daily driver in these parts, being so hot and dry these days, one has to try to remember to use the washers and wipers at least once a month, even just to move dust off the glass, because, as Edgy01 says, parts and systems have to be exercised occasionally in case they are ever needed.
That's true. You have to try to activate the headlight washers...

I discovered this after a few months of owning the car, because it isn't the same in the Cayenne. In that vehicle you hold the washer for a few seconds (with the headlights on, of course) and the headlight washers pop up. Not the same as the 996.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't even know our windshield washer nozzels are heated. I guess I have to RTFM again!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Forgot I actually had those since I never use them. Had to activate them this morning while pulling out of the garage just for fun! Work great!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 892 Posts

I just replaced the broken nozzle cover. Originally I searched and found instructions here. It included removing the headlight assembly, etc. I did that, got the whole thing apart on the kitchen table and it just didn't feel right. I ended up putting it back together. I looked again and the instructions I found here said they were for MK II cars, but they were for MK I.

I ended up having my son activate the washers, then I grabbed the broken one with pliers and held it up while I made the switch. It took about 10 seconds. I wish I had done it that way the first time! Oh well... lesson learned.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob996
I believe the windsheild washers are heated all the time, unless they work based on outside temprature. Since they are not connected to the rear defroster, especially since the rear defroster is on a timer.

My Audi and BMW equally have heated nozzles for the windsheild, and they operate automatically all the time regardless of rear defroster switch. The heated outside mirros work with the rear defroster though.

Hope you have the heated seat option?
Rob nice Avatar Your car leans a bit more than mine though...
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Darren,
Are you the one with the greatful dead sticker on your car? (Awesome Car) As i think i saw you last fall at WGI with the Niagara PCA DE... I'm currently shopping a new suspension to fix the body roll, looking at the PSS10's or the KW's or the JIC's with new sway bars, control arms and drop links. Problem is I'm getting conflicting recommendation on which coilover to install.. My indy mechanic is pushing the PSS10's, versus all others brands because of support and service you get from Bilstein, as sometimes shocks need to be repaired or re-built and service and reputation of other brands dont pass muster.
I'm planning to be at the spring DE with Niagara May 25-26 with a new suspension and hope to see you there....
Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob996
Are you the one with the greatful dead sticker on your car?
Nope, my car must have a twin then. Not to hijack the thread further but I have a set of sways for sale if you're interested -- contact me in PM.

Quick Reply: Heated washer nozzles...