996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shifter boot trim repair - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 07:39 PM
kropka
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Although i don't have the file converted to one appropriate for CNC milling (doable though), approximate cost would be $800-900 (type of aluminum doesn't seem to impact price too much). This is with brushed finish. Quite expensive for little trim piece - volume order does significantly lower the cost.

Something to keep in mind - OEM part is made out of plastic then metal plated to give it the final look. Manufacturer i'm using unfortunately doesn't offer aluminum plating only nickel, copper or gold.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:46 PM
kropka
Intermediate

For those cars that came without trim over the boot, plastic piece that holds the boot does not have holes drilled to be able to install trim. I'm prepping a template to accurately drill holes for trim installation. Only those which had the trim from manufacturer had those holes predrilled.

Alternatively i may create a snap on/glue on version to save on drilling and risking damaging the boot.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:45 PM
kropka
Intermediate

Just a quick update. Prototype came back today and i'm very happy with the result. Quality of the part is very good, all details came out very well. Obviously this part is raw so next step is to prep and paint. On the flip side you can see how pegs are properly lining up with the holes.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:07 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts
Default I'd be interested in a couple of these at reasonable price

I have a broken one on the Targa and like to add another to the Turbo.

Keep us apprised

Mike
Old 03-25-2021, 01:45 PM
wiggle_puppy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm certainly interested (without the "turbo" script).
Old 03-25-2021, 11:44 PM
NWI Bill
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in as well. My current ring is starting to peel the silver too. Porsche wants $955 for a replacement (entire assembly of ring, boot and ****) and that's the cost on sale at Suncoast
Old 03-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 512 Posts

I am also interested, without the script. I'd be especially interested in the raw version, so that I can finish it myself.

Thanks for spearheading this, it's a niggling thing, but one that you tend to see every time you get in the car.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2021, 11:40 AM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm interested, without the script. I managed to refurb mine, but I wouldn't mind a backup. I've found that Tremclad actually has a metallic aluminum finish that matches very closely to the original. Not perfect, but pretty close.

I mean, I'd also be potentially interested in a real aluminum one, but we may need to get an economy of scale going.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:32 PM
kropka
Intermediate

Everyone, just a quick update on boot trim progress. All turned out great, it fits like OEM part. I have ordered a sample batch from manufacturing (without turbo script), its set to arrive May 10. Inquiries to purchase it from the members were more than i expected. Since it doesn't make sense for me to make a business out of one part, i will most likely talk with established online sellers to sell it via their channels. I wanted to offer the members here a beta tester price of $30 (+ flat $5 shipping in USA) - for unfinished part (you would need to paint it to a desired color).

I'm receiving 10 of the trims, please PM me with interest and i will respond with my paypal (and venmo) details.

The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (07-04-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 01:14 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm in , Not to be greedy but i would buy 2.
Mike
Old 04-28-2021, 05:10 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 512 Posts

I'm in for one, if available. Just the one, tho. I'll send you a PM.

Cheers
Old 05-10-2021, 06:55 PM
wiggle_puppy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I received and installed my prototype today. I'll have to remove it and paint it sometime. I needed to drill six small holes in my existing boot/trim (well, eight because I messed up the spacing a bit). I think that I will use an adhesive to hold the trim more flush with the boot after painting. If you buy one of these I recommend lining up the front holes and drilling those first then lining everything else up based on those.

You can see some areas where the trim doesn't quite sit flush with the center console but that's pretty much installer error. I think using adhesive to hold the trim more flush with the boot should take care of that.

Last edited by wiggle_puppy; 05-10-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 PM
kropka
Intermediate

Drilling holes precisely is not as easy as it may sound. Trim slides in on bit of an angle so it very tricky do find proper spots for the holes. Because of several curves in the console precise hole placement makes or brakes the fitment. Trim is also bit wider on the open side (tips) than the boot (retaining frame), reason for that is during install these get closer creating additional curve to fit properly. I would even suggest for those who want to use this trim on boots that are not pre drilled, it may be best to cut off the stands from the trim and glue it on to the leather - i have not tested so can't vouch for longevity or even the look. Alternatively drill larger holes to find best fitment when positioning the trim, then fill with glue - just some thoughts...
Unfortunately placement of the holes is pretty random, there is no symmetry - bit odd for german engineering

One last note. On OEM boots with horseshoe trim, boot retaining frame (996.552.655.01) is cut at the front (reference pic), i believe this is to make space for the horseshoe trim to slide easily under batwing - may not be necessary to alter that, but wanted to mention.

Lastly i must have forgot to post fitment test on console... adding those pics as well - you will notice slight gap, the trim is loosely sitting on retaining frame, once lightly pressed all those disappear.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

I received my shifter trim yesterday. It looks nice and I'm excited to paint it and install it (hopefully later this week).
Old 06-21-2021, 07:14 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

I would like one if I am not too late

Quick Reply: Shifter boot trim repair - any ideas?