Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again so much for your help.

Sheng
Old 12-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Notice comments in the manual about the special tool going in easy if the cams are set right. Not easily forced, close, kind of, and such. Also the crank comments are a must. Pretty much all the manual is a must do in sequences. I think I'll have a scarey dream now

Best thing is with pdf manuals you can print pages for the garage and not be greasing up the good book. Best of luck understanding the sequence to you. Pictures would be nice
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
OK. I am not at work to look at the Workshop Manual right now, but I can give some pointers until tomorrow AM. Cylinder head torque sequence is on page 19 in the PDF link provided above. BUTT that is all that manual is good for!!!!!!!!!!!!! That manual is for the 3.4L engine. The cam timing procedure is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT for your 2004 3.6L VARIO CAM PLUS engine.

Are you a independent workshop, our just some guys building this engine at your house? You are going to need special tools to set cam timing and torque the cam sprocket bolts!!!!!!! The intake cam can be a little tricky to intstall correctly!!!!
Thanks for catching that. I didn't look for the 3.6l engine details until I read your post and found the 3.6l info not present at the link I provided.

To OP, sorry for posting incorrect info!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Thanks for catching that. I didn't look for the 3.6l engine details until I read your post and found the 3.6l info not present at the link I provided.

To OP, sorry for posting incorrect info!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Yea, it's to bad they don't have the 3.6l manual online, because it seem's like a nice website.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

This is cam installation and timing (bank 2) from the workshop manual. Everything but the pictures.

Installing camshafts - cylinder bank 4 - 6
1. In order to remove the play from the control chain drive, turn the engine at the belt pulley of the crankshaft clockwise (engine direction of rotation) to 60° before TDC (identification U6 on the belt pulley is flush with the fixing bore in the crankcase). Fix with the special tool fixing pins as of mod. 98 9595/1 . Use short fixing pin.

2. Turn the engine at the assembly support until cylinder bank 4-6 stands vertically upwards.
Caution

Flat-base tappets have been run in in the fitting bores and must be inserted again in their original position (allocation). For oiling, only use new engine oil.

3. Install flat-base tappets, side 4-6. Coat the tappets with new engine oil and insert them according to the relevant allocation for each cylinder (as removed). Make sure that the dowel pins of the inlet stroke tappets are flush with the bores in the housing -arrow- .

4. Oil the bearing surfaces of the camshafts with new engine oil.
5. Insert inlet camshaft 4-6. If necessary, pre-assemble the inlet camshaft → 150537 Disassembling and assembling inlet camshaft. Pull the control chain out of the chain housing of the cylinder head with a welding wire and position on the toothed ring of the camshaft adjuster, at the same time inserting the camshaft at overlapping TDC of cylinder 4 (the cams of cylinder 4 point towards the bulkhead of the flat-base tappet housing -arrows- ).

Information

Make sure that the bearing sleeve of the inlet camshaft is positioned correctly.

6. The bearing sleeve of the inlet camshaft must be positioned so that the centrally bored blind hole points vertically upwards (the rib of the cylinder head should also be at the centre in relation to the bearing sleeve). In this position, the dowel pin in the bearing bore of the cylinder head will fit precisely into the opposite off-centre blind hole bore. Any other bores are through-holes for guiding the oil.

7. Insert exhaust camshaft 4-6. Lay the control chain on the flange for the chain sprocket, then insert the camshaft at overlapping TDC of cylinder 4 (the cams of cylinder 4 point towards the cams of the inlet camshaft -arrows- ).

8. Install the chain sprocket of the exhaust camshaft. Insert the chain sprocket in the control chain, then position on the camshaft flange. The four threaded bores in the camshaft flange must be approximately half covered to the right by the slots of the chain sprocket in the engine direction of rotation.

Information

Do not interchange the thrust bearings of the inlet and exhaust camshafts during assembly. Observe the identification (Figure shows inlet camshaft bearings).

Designation of inlet camshaft bearing: thrust bearing: E and pairing number on cylinder head/cylinder head cover, bearing cover of the bearing sleeve: only pairing number.
Designation of exhaust camshaft bearing: thrust bearing on chain sprocket: 1A and pairing number on cylinder head/cylinder head cover, 2nd thrust bearing: 2A and pairing number on cylinder head/cylinder head cover.

9. Insert three thrust bearings and one bearing cover for the bearing sleeve of the camshafts with the guide rail for the control chain. Eight hexagon socket bearing screws: position six M6 x 35 (Item 1) and two M6 x 40 (Item 2) screws for the camshaft bearings and the guide rail and tighten slightly.

Position of the bearing screws: Item 1 = M6 x 35, Item 2 = M6 x 40

Adjusting timing, side 4 - 6
1. Align camshafts. On both camshafts, the smaller circular cutouts must lie at the top -arrows- .

2. Fix the camshafts with special tool adjustment gauge 9686 and fasten the gauge with one M8 auxiliary screw (e.g. M8 x 16 hexagon-head bolt) (flat tool surface should face upwards). Only tighten the screw slightly.

3. Screw the bearing cover screws of the inlet and exhaust camshafts and the auxiliary screw of the adjustment gauge alternately by another approx. 90° until the specified tightening torque of 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.) is reached.

Tightening torque: 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.)
4. Insert the guide rail screw with a new O-ring and tighten. Hexagon socket M6, a/f 5.

Tightening torque: 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.)
5. Fit the chain tensioner, side 4-6 (hexagon socket a/f 14). Replace sealing ring. Position the chain tensioner with new sealing ring and tighten with a torque wrench.

Tightening torque: 80 Nm (59 ftlb.)
Information

Move the engine at the belt pulley of the crankshaft to the TDC marking without fail.

6. Turn the engine at the belt pulley of the crankshaft clockwise (engine direction of rotation) to the TDC marking (the TDC bore in the belt pulley is flush with the fixing bore in the crankcase). Fix with the special tool fixing pins as of mod. 98 9595/1 . Use short fixing pin.

7. Position the four M6 x 12 hexagon-head bolts for the chain sprocket of the exhaust camshaft and tighten crosswise with a torque wrench.

Tightening torque: 14 Nm (10.5 ftlb.)
8. Tighten the central screw of the camshaft adjusting device. Position special tool retaining tool 9685 on the adapter of the central screw and place the loose contact block at the fitting bore of the oil extraction pump. Tighten the hexagon-head bolt on the contact block.

9. Tighten the central screw in two stages.

First stage: pre-tightening torque: 50 Nm (37 ftlb.).

Information

Before the final tightening of the central screw, remove special tool adjustment gauge 9686 without fail.

10. Remove special tool adjustment gauge 9686 . Unscrew the M8 auxiliary screw and pull off the gauge.

Second stage: final tightening of central screw: 110° torque angle with torque angle wrench.

Last edited by porsche52; 12-23-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Sheng
Advanced

Thanks again

Sheng
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 AM
996cab2002
2nd Gear

Question 996 M06.03 bank 1-2-3

Hi, I have been looking for this kind of detailled instructions for my 3 chains engine. Great. Thanks.

I installed bank 4-5-6 as indicated.

BUT, as I changed the intermediate shaft after the 1-2-3 timing chain was broken, I also have 1-2-3 to install.
I'm missing the crank position to fix, and which cylinder has to be at overlapping TDC when setting the camshafts on 1-2-3 head, assuming that everything else will be similar.

Could someone help me.

Thanks
Marc

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Help